Super Contributor

Does this type of lighting offer enough light for the average room or does it need to be supplemented?

Honored Contributor

I live in a townhouse and I have a floor lamp and a table lamp in my living room and I don't think they give enough light to do any type of detail work (when I do a jigsaw puzzle I have to put my ceiling fan light on.

The floor lamp takes 3 25 watt ceiling fan bulbs and the table lamp takes 2 25w ceiling fan bulbs.

I have 2 table lamps in my bedroom on my night tables and those take chandelier bulbs (15 watts maybe?). I use my ceiling fan light for any meaningful lighting in there when the sun isn't out.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

So in answer to your question, I supplement so I think unless the lamps you get take higher watt bulbs, you will probably want to supplement, too.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I think it depends on the size and style of your Tiffany-style lamp. Check the maximum wattage allowed and that should help give you an idea. Those that have shades that are mostly deep reds and purples will give much light than those with more pastel or white colors.

Honored Contributor

Most of my Tiffany style lamps take up to 60 watt bulbs and are pretty standard in the light they give off as compared to regular table lamps. I have a couple of brass floor lamps that take 3 way higher wattage bulbs, but haven't seen those higher wattages in the Tiffany.

The smaller lamps take lesser wattage bulbs.

Super Contributor

I think that the Tiffany lamps I have, are mostly for ambience and not really for things like reading, etc., I agree, supplementing is a good idea.

I think they are beautiful tho and I have many. I have them all over my house and whenever someone comes in my home that is the first thing they notice, they tell me how beautiful the lamps are. They really have such a soft glow. Even in my office/den where the lights are brighter and I have spot lighting, I have a few small Tiffany accent lamps because I love them so much.

Honored Contributor

I have a beautiful Tiffany style lamp and while it's not in use right now, it really needed supplementing. I tend to have several lamps in each room so it wasn't a big problem, but because of the colors of this lamp, it really was more a beautiful object than a functional lamp.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

They are beautiful, but more for mood lighting

Trusted Contributor

They can be fine for reading if the stained glass shade's shape lets light out and if your reading chair is placed where the light falls on your book when you're sitting by the lamp. Otherwise, the light is subtle and great for atmosphere, but doesn't brightly light up a room. Which is the point, if you like this kind of beautiful lighting. I love it.

Super Contributor

I have been wanting to add some Tiffany lamps since I am redecorating but looks as if I`ll have to add regular lighting also since I sometimes do hand sewing in the living room. Thank you for the recommendations.