Honored Contributor

Re: Thoughts on putting in Murphy Bed vs Traditional Bed

I would rather choose a daybed.........so long as you don't have a lot of company stay-overs

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

On their honeymoon my father shut my mother up in their Murphy bed and after that she wouldn’t sleep in it! 

Maybe a futon would work better.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My initial reaction is that a Murphy bed would limit decorating options if it is built into the wall, which is the only style I'm familiar with.  However, if space is at a premium and especially if it is a spare bedroom it could be a good option.  I wouldn't want to pull my bed out of the wall on a daily basis, but that's just me.  I'm also particular about my bed being made and well tucked daily.  Can't stand getting into an untucked bed.

The room setup we get when we go skiing is a one-bedroom with a Murphy bed in the main room next to the kitchen.  I slept in it on one trip with friends and found it comfortable although low to the ground and my bed at home is high, so that was weird.  

All other trips hubby and I are in the bedroom, and a lady friend would use the Murphy bed.  The one problem that has been consistent through the years and different rooms is that she gets cold in the Murphy bed.  I'm guessing it's because it's so low to the ground, although we are never on a ground floor so you would think heat rising through the floors would warm it up.  She has taken to sleeping on the couch instead.

Honored Contributor

A murphy bed is as comfortable as the mattress you choose to use on it.  Get ready for sticker shock if you price them.  There's a lot of cabinet work involved in building and installing one and that's always very pricey.  How about a sofa bed for the guest room?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My in-laws had one in their house in Florida. They had a small bedroom (really, more of a large den). They put in a Queen-sized Murphy bed that flipped up into its closet when it wasn’t in use. I’m pretty sure they had a ceiling fan in that room and the bed cleared it with no problem. Our son slept on it when he visited them and said it was comfortable. He would have said something if it wasn’t.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1   have you considered one of the newer credenza type beds? they have several different names for them, but are in essence, a sturdy wooden credenza, that unfolds to a bed. memory foam mattresses, most have charger ports built in, some even have a little fold out nite table. 

they (when closed) are only about 2' deep. pretty small footprint, and can be used as a nice piece of furniture when not in use.  also called bed in a box, give them a look see

Honored Contributor

If I rarely had guests, I'd get a sofa bed and save the expense of installing a Murphy bed.
Honored Contributor

Oh my sticker shock which someone mentioned here!

My curiosity got me so I called gave my approx (15' if I measured correctly) measurement of the wall.  

"Ball park estimate $4,000-7,000 based on style, wood (or veneer), bed size, w/or without matress, 

etc.😳🤯

hmmmm guess I'll be getting a queen size & selling excess furniture in the room!  I have 2 aero beds but I'd only use them for quick stay over -- my company comes for weeks.  

I want them to be comfy a traditional bed is the answer.  

I called 3 charities today to donate it until I get other bed.  No one takes bedding due to health regulations.  Too bad because it's barely been used.

Thank you everyone for your input🙂