Honored Contributor

Thoughts on putting in Murphy Bed vs Traditional Bed

The bed in my guest room is a CA KING it was left when I bought house.  It's much too big for the room & hardly have guests.

The room also has cottage style furniture.  The room is "crowded".

I saw a Murphy bed set up in a home for sale.  It is a good concept but would like to know how comfortable they are.

Anyone who has one and could share your thoughts & price points thank you.

My con is I don't care for the way it looks but most likely comes in different styles.

Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Re: Thoughts on putting in Murphy Bed vs Traditional Bed

I knew someone that had one, they had small room but they forgot they also have a ceiling fan so when they made it into a bed the bed hit the ceiling fan almost broke the fan. Most of the time the bed was up in the wall. Just be careful if you have a ceiling light or fan so it clears that. 

Occasional Contributor

we love ours...this is our second we bought one for our son..queen size and with the new foam mettrress available it was most comfortable...now we have one in our vacation home...,again so comfortable always a great night sleep....only concern is to make sure you get the correct depth of mattrress...

Trusted Contributor

Funny you should ask.  I’m lying on one right now as I type.  We are at a cottage in Maine .. it’s very comfy.  Sleep really well on it.  DH and I are considering one for our spare bedroom.  DW

Honored Contributor

I watch a ton of Beach Hunters, Beach Front Bargain Hunt, etc. and many of the beach homes have murphy beds and they have really come a long way since they were created.

They have to be 1000% more comfortable than a sofa bed or a futon.

When I get my beach front condo, I am going to have one installed for guests.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

We have a queen wallbed that we purchased from Wilding Wallbeds who are based in Utah.  They have a few showrooms in Utah and So. California.  However, they have sales reps in all states.  The furniture is handmade and beautiful - quality wood.  Excellent hardware and easy to pull down.  We had them install it.  I use this room as a guest room and also have my folding treadmill in it.

Respected Contributor

A Murphy bed is a great idea but it might be easier and cheaper to replace the big bed with a queen or full size bed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

A Murphy bed is a great idea but it might be easier and cheaper to replace the big bed with a queen or full size bed.

This is what I was thinking. 

I know nothing of a newer generation of Murphy beds, so I will look it up later when I have more time. What I do remember is the old ones that actually are built into a wall, and pull down/out for use. Are they still like that?

If it is built into the wall, or sets up against the wall, what do you do with the room the rest of the time? Setting furniture in front of it (like it is a wall) would mean having to move everything and find a place for it to use it. Sounds like a big headache. But perhaps they aren't what I'm remembering them being. 

Edited to add

I went and looked really quickly, and see they are now like a big piece of furniture, some like a big cabinet with shelving on the sides etc. So they would look like furniture and not an empty wall, no need to worry about arranging furniture against something that looked like a bare wall. 

I have no idea of the comfort, but I can see where they would be great to have a bed, but not taking up a ton of room all the time. Cool concept!

Esteemed Contributor

I would do away with the traditional beds and purchase an Aero bed. They are comfy, take up the space of a luandry bag and are easy to self inflate. It is also budget friendly.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Fressa wrote:

I would do away with the traditional beds and purchase an Aero bed. They are comfy, take up the space of a luandry bag and are easy to self inflate. It is also budget friendly.

I would agree.  I put a full bed in our spare room. It's crowded

(exercise equipment also in there).  I already had an Aero bed. 

I wouldn't put a Murphy bed  in a single family home, Chicago suburb.  Maybe in a vacation home.