Honored Contributor

Re: Thoughts on kitchen shelf liners

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I like the look of shelf liners but hate the hassle.  So I just go bare naked.

@Imaoldhippie 

This would be my choice, as I'm terrible at sliding things in and out and not picking them up or lifting them. And I think anything besides the old adhesive stuff, won't allow for sliding, and I'm going to struggle with it. But, on the other hand, I want to keep those pristine white shelves from getting marked up. 

What's a girl to do? LOL

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio ......I understand completely.  I do have the black scuff marks, but some was there before we bought the house.  If I had new cabinets I might feel different.  In a couple of my drawers I do have have that rubber type grippy stuff which I do like, but there is no sliding because it will bunch up.

Decisions, decisions!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Mominohio 

bet your excited cabinets are in! Seems like things are moving along!

I have the same cabinets so I know what you mean about "staining".  

I would have provided the link (big A) but know the rules.

I love this liner -- grips no glue and nothing sticks.  Easy to put in cabinets and wipes clean.

Comes in different width/lengths.  I used 20" wide since my bottom cabinets I did pot drawers & for lower kitchen cabinets.

Top cabinets used 12" wide.  

It comes in variety of patterns.  Cheaper in bulk but Lowe's, Home Depot, WM sell single rolls for $6-9/each.

417ECBD2-8CEA-4006-B993-7C55EEBC1454.png

@homedecor1 

This one was my first though, as it's fairly inexpensive, can get it from Walmart delivered in two days, and I don't have to leave home to move on with other things or wait too long for it. 

Question for you, do you find it smooth enough for the shelves you put glasses, mugs and plates and the like on? I tend to be a 'slider' of those things across the shelf, lot a lifter. Will I just need to learn to lift things and not drag them across the shelves?

Esteemed Contributor

I buy rolls of sylacone (sp?).  It is easy to roll out and cut to the correct length. Great to wash under the faucet, dry and return to its place. And available in any color desired. Perfect for drawers, as well as cabinets. Available at Ace Hardware. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

• DEAF7955-BE58-4935-B818-B438A7146A41.jpeg
Honored Contributor

@KailaS,

I use what you have pictured in my pull out drawers, but it does not do well on shelves where you slide items in and out.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Plast-o-mat clear liner that I know you can get at Container Store and I think Bed Bath and Beyond has it as Wrap Brothers Lifeliner.

It lays flat, stays in place and cleans up great.  Cut it with scissors!  

We have some that is a lovely amber color and some that is clear. 

@Sooner 

Went to YouTube and watched a video on this. I like that it is basically translucent, no colors or patterns to interfere with decor and make things busier. 

Question for you though. Is it ribbed on both sides? And if the ribs go 'up' is there a tendency for dust, crumbs etc to be caught in them and need cleaning frequently, that is more involved than just damp wiping?

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio - I don’t use shelf liners across the board and my cabinets look the same now as they did 14 years ago.

But, I do use this product in two drawers and in the cabinet where I keep crackers and cookies. It’s a non-stick thing. I got it at the grocery store. 

B92E6660-76F8-4DDE-A939-56E14E8680E5.jpeg

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Another thing I use in the kitchen that would work in cabinets are these Fridge Liners. One of my favorite kitchen purchases ever. I use them in the refrigerator and freezer. No more having to clean the shelves at all. Best thing ever. They’d work in cabinets also. 

4F2799D1-37AC-4E79-B646-DC3EB6BF2EAB.jpeg

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I have no idea what mine are called, but I get them in rolls at Walmart  They are scrunchy, so I use them for lining my cabinets and also to help open jars.  The ones that I use really have a good grip for tough jars to open.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!