Honored Contributor

Re: Those of you with clear glass showers . . .

[ Edited ]

We had clear shower doors for nearly 30 years until we replaced them 1 year ago. We replaced them because they had a brass trim and we were redoing bath in brushed nickel.  The doors were like new.  A guy accross the stree took them for a remtal.  He said never in his life had he seen doors so clean and unscratched....and still crystel clear.  I think it was due to a couple reasons.

1) we never took a  shower ever without using the squeegie. then we wiped them down and the marble walls.It was a pain.  I took to baths. LOL!   My husband persisted and did it, everyday. The sun shines through that window and you can see every finger print.  They were clean!
2) i think it was better quality glass back then. We had them custom made.  It was regular safety glass, but the brass was a power brass that had to be baked on. 

the new glass doors just dont clean up as easy as old doors. 

every other month I cleaned them with glass cleaner.  Sprayway.  That stuff is toxic smelling. Its a foam,but it works like nothing else. I used to het it at Restoration Hardware, but now get it on amazon

my friend waxes her cleaned shower doors with Glass Plus. I think that is the name. It is an old product. It is pink?  You put it on till it films up, then buff off and shine up.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have walk-in showers in both bathrooms and we each use a squeegie after showering.  It isn't such a chore once you get used to it--only takes a minute.  Our housekeeper cleans them every week with cleaning vinegar and she swears that is the best way to clean them.  As long as I don't have to do more than squeegie them,  I'm good with that.

Valued Contributor

My parents are about to do a major overhaul of their large bathroom. It's just the two of them so technically this is my Mom's bathroom. 

After reading every post on here regarding glass doors, I am going to do my best to talk my Mom out of it. She will not do the cleaning it every time she uses it thing. She would be better off with a shower curtain. 

Personally I prefer a half tile wall and no other enclosure. No glass or shower curtain. A friend of mine redid his bathroom a few years ago and put in one like this with a slightly slanted floor to steer the water to drain in the right direction. No step up to get in the shower, no doors or curtain to clean. I loved that design. He did most of the work himself though so cost was not a factor.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Trusted Contributor

We have large, walk-in tiled showers but no doors to clean.  Those who are using the squeegee—are you using it on the floor too or just the walls? 

Honored Contributor

@Leggett28 wrote:

We have a small squeegee hanging in the shower that we use after every shower. If you use after every shower it works. We’ve been doing this so long it’s just habit. 

@Leggett28 That's SO smart!

Respected Contributor

I clean my whole shower after each use.....  I either squeegee it all down, or dry it off with a microfiber cloth.  Easy to do, and the shower is always clean.  

Respected Contributor

@Teddie   I dry down the ENTIRE shower..... door, walls, and floor.  It's quick to do after every shower, and it's always clean.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@Teddie   I dry down the ENTIRE shower..... door, walls, and floor.  It's quick to do after every shower, and it's always clean.

Thank you, @ItsME !

Esteemed Contributor

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RqBMzua9vx8

My friend turned me on to the Karcher window vac.  I have a house full of big windows overlooking the lake.  Love this, so easy.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom   does this have any extensions for high windows?