Honored Contributor

This is what July brings from our orchard

20170706_110349.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: This is what July brings from our orchard

Best year yet for our blueberries. They are just coming on and I hope to get about 10 times this amount before the season is over. 

These were so sweet and good. To me they are like candy, I cannot stop eating them!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

Beautiful blueberries. 

Would you send a few pounds to me? LOL

Enjoy your berries.

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio

Congratulations on your first blueberry harvest of the summer.  They're beautiful! I'm happy for you, but I'm so envious. I've never tasted a fresh blueberry that wasn't either bland, or a little tart. I would love to pop a few of those sweet beauties in my mouth, just to experience what a blueberry is supposed to taste like. Enjoy! 

Honored Contributor

@CaliKat wrote:

@Mominohio

Congratulations on your first blueberry harvest of the summer.  They're beautiful! I'm happy for you, but I'm so envious. I've never tasted a fresh blueberry that wasn't either bland, or a little tart. I would love to pop a few of those sweet beauties in my mouth, just to experience what a blueberry is supposed to taste like. Enjoy! 

@

We are lucky to live just a few miles from one of the best blueberry farms I've ever seen. They grow berries that shame mine. They are so big, so sweet, absolutely a dream!

But boy are they expensive. That was the motivator for us to plant some of our own. We had always heard they are 'fussy' to grow, but we seem to be doing ok, and we invest really very little time and effort into them. 

I think they have so many varieties of fruit trees and plants now that are much easier and more productive than those of years gone by. The biggest challenge we have is keeping the deer out of them, we have to fence them in! (oh that is fence in the blueberry bushes, not the deer!!!LOL)

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

You must be up north. I'm in the deep south of Georgia and ours have come and gone, what there was that wasn't damaged by a late March frost. We lost a huge chunk of our crops, 90% of them in fact. Gather your berries and freeze them for later!
Valued Contributor

Yum! Looking forward to blueberry season coming. I tried growing them but it didn't work out, as our soil is mostly clay. Luckily, the lady at the local farmer's market has them...and we buy them by the bucketload! 

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@CaliKat wrote:

@Mominohio

@

We are lucky to live just a few miles from one of the best blueberry farms I've ever seen. They grow berries that shame mine. They are so big, so sweet, absolutely a dream!

But boy are they expensive. That was the motivator for us to plant some of our own. We had always heard they are 'fussy' to grow, but we seem to be doing ok, and we invest really very little time and effort into them. 

I think they have so many varieties of fruit trees and plants now that are much easier and more productive than those of years gone by. The biggest challenge we have is keeping the deer out of them, we have to fence them in! (oh that is fence in the blueberry bushes, not the deer!!!LOL)

@Mominohio  Are your blueberry bu---s large?  How many do you have?  Are they self pollinating?  I planted seven last year, and am getting some berries on each plant, but it will be years, I imagine, before I have a great crop.  I eat blueberries almost daily, frozen organic from Costco when fresh aren't available. They are so healthy.

I have been eating blackberries and raspberries from my garden, and am expecting another crop of blackberries in a few months.  

I bought two boysenberry plants this year, my absolute favorite berry and almost impossible to find, though my produce market carries them for a short time every summer, so I buy a load and stuff my face for days, lol.

I am also growing strawberries this year, used to grow them, so thought I would try again.

Honored Contributor

I wish I could grow blueberries here in Colorado but it is very difficult as with other berries. The soil in my area is poor and requires a lot of additions to make it fertile. 

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
You must be up north. I'm in the deep south of Georgia and ours have come and gone, what there was that wasn't damaged by a late March frost. We lost a huge chunk of our crops, 90% of them in fact. Gather your berries and freeze them for later!

@Tigriss

In north central Ohio! I had heard that Georgia lost about 90% of the peach crop. That is just staggering, if it is correct. 

Peaches are coming in here to the farmer's markets but are from the Carolinas  lately. 

I hate when any region looses crops, it hurts us all!