Honored Contributor

Re: This is a test, it's only a test.

OMG I have no thoughts about how I cycle the towels. i take them off the top of the pile. When i do laundry I put the wahed ones right on top. If you are sitting around worrying about how to recycle towels you seriously need to find something productive to do.Volunteer - get a PT job.Challenge yourself with something worthwhile.

Super Contributor

Yikes.. this sounds like some things my husband would do.  I am betting that the OP also does a whole lot of other organizational things that are also what the majority would consider needless. My husband has been diagnosed with ocd, albiet a mild form.  He arranges my spices in alphabetical order, has certain areas where he wants things in the fridge, etc.  It drives me crazy, but I still love him to bits.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

it's not because someone "has no life", that's why we put thought into rotating towels or items of clothing or whatever else. it's just a thing we do because we're either oc (which I am), or order is simply what we desire. once you have a "system" going, it's second nature and doesn't take up any time at all. 

my newly washed laundry always goes into the bottom of the pile, but if for some reason I feel like using a certain piece that day, I'll just get it. no big deal. 

Honored Contributor

Doesn't anyone hang them on the towel rods in the bathroom?

Even when I had a young family, no one ever took towels from a stack.  They were on the rod and you used yours.  Then, when they got washed, I put them back on the rod (or in the closet if there were already clean ones on the rod). 

We had no space for stacks of towels in the bathroom.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@bear wrote:

Yikes.. this sounds like some things my husband would do.  I am betting that the OP also does a whole lot of other organizational things that are also what the majority would consider needless. My husband has been diagnosed with ocd, albiet a mild form.  He arranges my spices in alphabetical order, has certain areas where he wants things in the fridge, etc.  It drives me crazy, but I still love him to bits.  

Speaking of alphabetical order.....I worked in a grocery store before I retired...we had a customer who would unload her basket alphabetically and that is the way we had to ring her up...if she seen a "C" product get ahead of a "B" product she would rush and grab it before I could reach for it...lol...Took a long time to finish her up as she always had a large basket of food...

Her husband and son would be at the end of my register bagging her stuff alphabetically....

I went part time and I didn't see them any longer...must have shopped when I wasn't there or shopped elsewhere...

Want to add they were very nice people...freindly..funny...just different....

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Wow. I'm amazed the people actually put thought into this. Nothing wrong with it.....it would just never occur to me to think about it.

@Goldengate8361 -- LOL, I was thinking the same thing.  Another interesting topic on the Forums.

Honored Contributor

I have no order. I, like your husband, am more prone to grabbing my favorite than the one off the top or bottom.

If I were really concerned that towels weren't wearing evening because only favorites were getting used, I'd think about why they weren't getting used and why the others were. Are the old ones worn or scratchy? Do they not absorb water as well? Are they just in a color someone prefers?

Then I'd donate all the unused towels or turn them into rags and buy new ones that more closely match the qualities of the favorites.

That's me and I live alone, so I've done that. I bought some new towels that were so much better than the old ones I got rid of the old ones and replaced them all.

If you won't do that, I suppose you could have his and hers piles and make sure you use all the towels he won't in whatever rotation you want to fit your very specific needs. Because if there's one thing I've learned, it's not worth it to try and control another person over something like this. You can control your own choices, but not his. I'd find a way to manage in a way we could both be happy. Maybe you could even present him with a plan to replace the towels and a cost estimate and see if paying for new towels is enough to make him conform. Or, if he won't conform to your linen standards, make him responsible for his own linens and let him wash and replace them as he sees fit and let it go entirely.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

It's just me and my husband here but I do the laundry and rotate everything....clean towels are put at the bottom of the stack in the bath closet. Underclothes are done in the same manner, newly laundered at the bottom...that way everything is rotated.  I am an organization nut...

@Mom2Dogs -- I do the exact same thing, clean on the bottom.  Otherwise, you would use the same item over and over.  FYI - I'm an organizational nut too.  I inherited the gene from my Dad.

Honored Contributor

@Winkk.....Maybe we are sisters from another mother....no one else I know does this...to me it's the ONLY way, ha!

@Winkk wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

It's just me and my husband here but I do the laundry and rotate everything....clean towels are put at the bottom of the stack in the bath closet. Underclothes are done in the same manner, newly laundered at the bottom...that way everything is rotated.  I am an organization nut...

@Mom2Dogs -- I do the exact same thing, clean on the bottom.  Otherwise, you would use the same item over and over.  FYI - I'm an organizational nut too.  I inherited the gene from my Dad.

Honored Contributor

@151949....hmmm...I am a wife, grandmother, good friend and I work....I enjoy sewing, gardening, refinishing furniture, girls night out AND keeping my house organized in the matter that I like, so no need for me to find something productive to do...I keep quite busy thank you.

@151949 wrote:

OMG I have no thoughts about how I cycle the towels. i take them off the top of the pile. When i do laundry I put the wahed ones right on top. If you are sitting around worrying about how to recycle towels you seriously need to find something productive to do.Volunteer - get a PT job.Challenge yourself with something worthwhile.