Honored Contributor

Re: This Old House, By the #s

@lolakimono,

Thank you so much! Very interesting and helpful info!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/72/f1/06/72f106acc3a0132e11055f9343cdc210--happy-tuesday-quotes-happy-day.jpg

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Great information. I need to change a couple of things in this house!

Never understood why anyone would want their washer and dryer on a pedestal. Would make maintenance or plumbing more difficult. Also, seems counterproductive to lifting wet, heavy laundry from the washer to the dryer, unless it is primarily for petites? 

@BirkiLady. So you wouldn't have to bend over to drag wet heavy clothes out.  You reach in and get them without hurting your back.  It's wondeful.  I'm shorter, husband is taller and we both LOVE it!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner  Ahhh . . . I'm a fan of top loader washers for that very reason! I'm tall and don't want to be bending over and lifting heavy,wet laundry into the dryer. I also like to be able to move the machines to clean under and behind them a couple of times each year. 

OTOH, my sister-in-law is under 5' tall and she also loves her front loader washer and dryer on pedestals. My BIL didn't care for it, but he was very tall (like my husband). 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono wrote:

When we remodeled our kitchen I followed the guideline for hood placement.  Our hood is 27.75" from the cooktop.  We regret having it so low.  When I lean in to the back burners my hair touches the hood and my poor husband is always hitting his forehead.  We could have placed it higher because we have very good ventilation and no issues with cooking odors. 

libby's folly
Respected Contributor

Thanks @lolakimono Fascinating.