Honored Contributor

Thinking About a Royal Palace Runner - Your Experiences, Please

I need to replace a runner and have been looking at the Royal Palace offerings. I don't necessarily need to buy the one on today's TSV, but am interested in your reviews. Are they really slippery w/o a pad? I try to avoid latex since it discolors the floor underneath. Is the rug itself really thick that a closet door couldn't open easily over it. How about cleaning?

Any helpful information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking About a Royal Palace Runner - Your Experiences, Please

Hello again.  I never did buy a RP Runner when I first posted my original question.  Even though they're on waitlist now, I'm still thinking about getting one.  Could someone who already owns a RP rug or runner, and uses it by a door, please comment on the thickness of the rug and if there's enough clearance for a door to open and close easily over it?  Thanks

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch

Sorry I didn't see this early.  I have had about 8 or 9 RP rugs over the years.  I still have onl.  It is 5X7, although mine is 5'2" by 7'4",  I have it in my "japanese" room, it is a yellow gold, and I love it. it is showing a little wear now, but I can't find the color I want!.  I have had it cleaned 2X in the last 7 years I have owned it. It holds up well, and looks gorgeous.  All RP rugs are cut well, and beautiful.  I do need another.   my reservations are this, they shed like crazy!!  All mine shed for at least 2 years with weekly vaccuming.  You have to vacuum them well upon arrival and vacuum everyday for a week or two. They still shed.  My grandkids would watch tv on the rug, and their clothes were covered head to foot in fur!  They looked like large CATS!!  It is okay if it is a runner.  Be warned walking on it causes the wool to go everywhere!  I think it has to do with the quality and washing of the wool BEFORE they are woven.  I have bought 2 other area rugs to replace RP a few years ago, and never once did they ball up, or shed. They do not have the cloth cover underneath, they have something else, and require a pad, not rubber..but one of those thick woven pads.  The rug man said higher quality are made like that.

Soooooooooooo, my recommendation is this.  They are beautiful.  You will never find a rug at QVC prices.  They just get a super deal.  They are like satin to the hand, and cut really well.  It is just the wool.  If you have a high traffic area, I would say no...or go for it if you are willing to vacuum every day.  I would fill up 3 Dyson tanks vacuuming the large RP rug..

If it is a "show" rug with no traffic, it would be fine. 

I have the long runner on hardwood (a pad underneath, as that burlap it is lined with scratches floor).  For some reason I have never replaced it.  I have moved it room to room over the years as I changed things.  It has to be 15 years old.  I noticed last week the edges are bald a little.  I was debating buying another runner today, but I said no.  Too messy and heavy.

Hopes this helps.  Also, because these are handmade the measurements may be off an inch or two, usually larger. 

Honored Contributor

I had one in the entry by front door for a long time!  We have a door jam that has  some clearance.  I see no problem with the thickness.  Are you putting it on carpet or tile.  If carpet, then yes there might be a problem. I would say they are an inch to 1 1/4 in thick without pad when new

Respected Contributor

Hands down; you cannot go wrong with this line.  I have them in every room of my home.  (8 rugs).  The quality & durability is spectacular.  I am hesitant to give you my door measurements  as my rugs are on carpet, etc.  If you follow the directives they give you regarding shedding, it will be a non-event.  I vacuum regularly so it didn't concern me.  Since They are plush & thick, regular carpet cleaning is only required, especially if you are consistent in vacuuming.  Try one & enjoy!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It's my experiencew that wool rugs shed and shed for years.  I finally discarded one in our rec room after owning it for probably 7 years.  Got tired of the fuzz from the rug appearing on the surrounding tile floor, caused by footsteps from rough-bottomed sneakers.  My DIL has a fairly high-quality wool area rug from Pottery Barn and is still wondering when it will stop shedding.  It's about 2 years old.

Wool rugs are really nice and durable, however.  They look good for a long time.  You just have to not mind vacuuming.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I had one in the entry by front door for a long time!  We have a door jam that has  some clearance.  I see no problem with the thickness.  Are you putting it on carpet or tile.  If carpet, then yes there might be a problem. I would say they are an inch to 1 1/4 in thick without pad when new

Thanks @shoekitty, for your other post.  I appreciate it.  My runner would be going on hardwood.  

The runners are all on waitlist now, but I think I'm going to go for it.  I've been wanting one for awhile now.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

Thanks @shoekitty, for your other post.  I appreciate it.  My runner would be going on hardwood.  

The runners are all on waitlist now, but I think I'm going to go for it.  I've been wanting one for awhile now.

Shoekitty said

I think you will love the runner.  It will look great by front door.  What color did you get.?  They a actually are easy to spot clean.  A little distilled water and a clean cloth, and it will wear like iron.  We had a couple bathroom rugs, and when they got real old and we didn't care about it...we took it out back and washed it with a hose and some woolite.  and hung to dry.  It was good to go for another few years, LOL!  Sometimes it is not about spending the money on a new rug, it is that I love the one I have and can't find another!

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

Shoekitty said

I think you will love the runner.  It will look great by front door.  What color did you get.?  They a actually are easy to spot clean.  A little distilled water and a clean cloth, and it will wear like iron.  We had a couple bathroom rugs, and when they got real old and we didn't care about it...we took it out back and washed it with a hose and some woolite.  and hung to dry.  It was good to go for another few years, LOL!  Sometimes it is not about spending the money on a new rug, it is that I love the one I have and can't find another!

I agree!  I chose the burgundy.  The ivory would have gone well too, but the majority of traffic is at the front door so I felt a little safer with the darker color.  Thanks for the cleaning tip.  Now I'm thinking of a second one for my lower level bathroom!

Esteemed Contributor

I have Royal Palace rugs in all sizes all over my house especially at each door. I have German Shepherd dogs, kids, grandkids, husband and relatives that don't know the purpose of a door mat. These rugs are not only beautiful but they perform. I vacuum about twice a week because of the dogs and when I need to scrub them I use my Bissell steam cleaner.All of my rugs are in the ivory or taupe shades.  I have the taupe shades in front of the doors. I only have to steam clean them once or twice a year depending on the door.

I don't think that you can go wrong with these rugs.  Some of my really old ones I have repurposed in the laundry room, etc. Mine never seem to wear out which is a good thing.