Honored Contributor

Things that Q sells, that are great for "emergencies".

Was reading another post about having cooking options in a power outage and it brought this subject to mind.

Seems like pre Katrina, if you "prepared" for disaster, you were a candidate for a reality show about extremists.

Now, with the weather related stuff that has gone on the last several years, more and more people are thinking ahead, planning ahead and buying ahead, with the thought that they may be without certain services for extended periods of time.

Got me to thinking. What things have you bought on Q that aren't necessarily made for a disaster situation, but you have used or could use for such a time?

I'll start out with flameless candles. In a power outage, there is enough going on for most people, and the last thing they really need is flame candles burning all over the house for light. A couple flameless candles in each room, they can 'burn' safely while everyone is asleep and are useful and decorative even when the power is fully functioning.

A second idea I found helpful was my Temp-tations beverage dispensers. We had some problem with our drinking water system. I filled several of these with water, set them on the counter, and we had good drinking water for several days at a time.

What have you bought, or even just noticed that Q sells, that would be helpful in such situations (either things designed for the use or things that do double duty, like the candles)?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Things that Q sells, that are great for "emergencies".

I can only think of the flameless candles. We were without power for 13 days back before I knew of flameless candles. They would have helped tremendously.

When I think of QVC, I tend to think of non-essential stuff that I really don't need and sometimes feel guilty buying.

Super Contributor

Since we live in "tornado alley" and live in the country, we like to be prepared. From QVC, we have purchased:

the Eton crank radio/flashlights/weather radio - one for the house, two for the storm shelter.

Cell phone chargers, small and the stronger ones

Heavy duty rechargeable battery starter to use to plug in lamps, etc - we also have a large gas-powered generator

Flameless candles, but they are short term. We have regular candles.

Respected Contributor

I just used my flameless candles a week ago when the electricity went out. All the batteries were dead but thankfully I had batteries to go in them. The electricity went out at 4:30 PM and it gets dark here a bit after 5:00. So I got them up and going and was very happy I had them! The lights came back on at 6:00, so it was ok, but you never know.

A few winters ago we were out of electricity for 5 days in the winter. That wasn't fun! Oh, our house is ALL electric.

Respected Contributor

Oh, I forgot to mention that I was wishing I had the portable cell phone chargers when the lights went out. I need to buy one of those one of these days.

Honored Contributor

Flameless candles are about it. Planes flying overhead can easily spot my house from 35,000 feet.
Trusted Contributor

We keep flashlights, batteries, canned food, crackers, bottled water, matches, candles, a crank radio, guns, and ammunition. None of these items were purchased from QVC, though. They're all widely available.

Honored Contributor

On 12/2/2014 graycatsrule said: Flameless candles are about it. Planes flying overhead can easily spot my house from 35,000 feet.

I hear ya! Perhaps in a real disaster we can join forces and light the landing strips for the planes!!

Valued Contributor

Definitely flameless candles, I'd be lost without those in power outages. I have written down where to place them and what white or reflective/mirrored object to put behind each one to maximize the light throw, so I can set it all up in daylight before the dark sets in.

Power inverters of various sizes is the other big one for me. From the big car-starter size to the little purse sized chargers.

Can't think what else QVC sells for this sort of occasion.

Valued Contributor

I have several solar patio lights that work great during a power outage. also the car jump starters that can charge cell phones or you can plug an inverter in to plug in something with a regular plug-in. They will not run very long without a recharge though.