Honored Contributor

Re: The Worst Decor Trend From The Year You Were Born

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt I like the next to last kicthen... Although my cabinets are not dark grey, my kitchen is predominantly orange and grey and I really love it. I also haven't gotten tired of it. My counters are not orange though... and the orange I picked is more of a spice than a true orange... 

@stevieb

The type of cabinets and shade of color make a big difference.  I like the way they go togethr in the 2nd to last photo.............I bet your kitchen with gray and spcie looks really nice.............Woman Very Happy...

2 of the other kitchens look a bit retro which I like ....and the lighter cabinet one with more of a rust countertop blends well together...........

The last photo is a bit modern it meshes well together............

They are all an improvement over the Brady Bunch one....................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Re: The Worst Decor Trend From The Year You Were Born

[ Edited ]

The Pink Lady and The Blue Boy prints hung in my childhood home for years.  Like other pictures  on our walls, these prints  probably were purchased from the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC, and Mom had them framed.  

Here is an excerpt from something I found online about those pictures, written by someone who recalls them from earlier times...................

<<Sarah Barret Moulton: Pinkie by Sir Thomas Lawrence
In the Public Domain
This is the time of year when people tend to do a lot of reminiscing about holidays past and the year--in this case, the decade--coming to a close. That got me to thinking about some of the art I remember from my childhood. Without giving out the exact timeframe, I will only say that it was a while back.

Some of the art I remember from my grandmother's house is indelibly burned up there in my brain, and I can see it "there" whenever I want to.

Hanging on her walls were "Blue Boy," "Red Boy," and "Pink Lady." iss what she called them, so that's what we called them. I'm still lucky enough to be in possession of "Red Boy" and "Pink Lady," although "Blue Boy" somehow vanished over the years.

These are framed prints, of course. If we had the originals, I wouldn't be sitting here writing a blog about them, now would I?

"Blue Boy" is really called THE Blue Boy by Thomas Gainsborough painted around 1770. According to Wikipedia it was Gainsborough's most famous painting, and it's a portrait of a man with the unflattering name of Jonathan Buttall. It says it is a historical costume study intended to pay homage to the Dutch painter Van Dyck of Charles II. It stayed in collections in Europe until it was sold to American railroad magnate, Henry Huntington, in 1921. It hangs today in the Huntington Museum in San Marino, California.

Based on the comment received by a reader, I subsequently edited this blog to clarify information about the painting known as Red Boy. Blue Boy and Red Boy are often thought of together because of the obvious similarity in names; however, the real Red Boy was painted by Sir Thomas Lawrence depicitng Charles William Lambton.

The painting we were calling"Red Boy" is actually titled Manuel Osorio Manrique de Zuniga by Francisco de Goya, painted about 1790. It shows a little boy in a fancy red suit with lace standing next to a cat and a bird cage. The original hangs in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

And it turns out, "Pink Lady" is actually Sarah Barrett Moulton, also by Sir Thomas Lawrence. It was painted about 1794. Sarah was the daughter of a wealthy plantation owner in Jamaica, and her family nickname was Pinkie. It also hangs in the Huntington Museum.>>