Trusted Contributor

Re: The Stockings Were Hung . . .

On 12/2/2014 suzeecat said:
On 12/2/2014 happygal said:

Our kids would not have been distracted by coloring books on Christmas morning! You must have been wonderful children. We always put in inexpensive, practical things. I shake my head when I see hundred-dollar items touted as "stocking stuffers." Right.

I was born in 1955 so this was a bit before conspicuous consumption became so popular. Our family was never well off, my parents had a Christmas budget (they saved all year with a Christmas Club at the local bank) of $50 for each child.

WOW! I remember Christmas clubs! Do they still have those?

Respected Contributor

On 12/2/2014 Gloria said:

Our kids would not have been distracted by coloring books on Christmas morning! You must have been wonderful children. We always put in inexpensive, practical things. I shake my head when I see hundred-dollar items touted as "stocking stuffers." Right.

I was born in 1955 so this was a bit before conspicuous consumption became so popular. Our family was never well off, my parents had a Christmas budget (they saved all year with a Christmas Club at the local bank) of $50 for each child.

I think they were replaced by credit cards and Easy-Pay, LOL!!! (sad, but true)

Respected Contributor

Always a candy cane, an orange, a couple of small toys and a new tooth brush!

Trusted Contributor

On 12/2/2014 Gloria said:

I think they were replaced by credit cards and Easy-Pay, LOL!!! (sad, but true)

So true!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

we always got a bottle of coca cola, an orange and a candy cane. Sometimes there was a small toy, but the other 3 things were always there.

Respected Contributor

Stockings were hung (our names in glitter on them), there was never anything in them...my folks did well just to provide a few gifts for my 2 brothers and me. I am the oldest and born in 1955, just for a timeframe reference.

DH & I try to put a little something in each other's stocking--maybe a favorite candy treat. If my "big" present is jewelry, it's usually in there.

Esteemed Contributor

Stockings were my favorite part of Christmas morning, as a child, but it was funny - Mom saved the nuts that we never ate, anyway, from year-to-year. They were in a plastic container in the cupboard, next to the flour and sugar bins. Of course they were in their shell (who likes a Brazil nut?).

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

We didn't ""do"" stockings. All of our presents were wrapped and placed under or around the tree.

Respected Contributor

We got an orange in the toe,nuts in the shell,candy..kisses,etc,Apple's,tangerines,and candy fantastic Kim g out the top.No gifts in our stockings. Wow, we were excited to get that stuff.Now days kids would have none of that.I can't believe how we got toys.Today kids get loads. It's crazy.
Contributor

We usually got candy, an orange, always a popcorn ball (!) and practical things like a new assignment notebook and a toothbrush. I was also born in 1955 for reference.