Respected Contributor

The Stockings Were Hung . . .

What was in your Christmas stocking when you were young? My parents always put a coloring book and box of crayons in our stockings so that when we inevitably woke up too early we could keep ourselves occupied while our parents caught a few extra minutes of sleep.

Respected Contributor

Re: The Stockings Were Hung . . .

Our kids would not have been distracted by coloring books on Christmas morning! You must have been wonderful children. We always put in inexpensive, practical things. I shake my head when I see hundred-dollar items touted as "stocking stuffers." Right.

Esteemed Contributor

Usually we each had a bag of M&Ms or similar popular candy, or one of these hard candy books. This was in the 1970s & 80s.

Super Contributor

Never even knew about stockings til I was 18 and married. We were poor.

Respected Contributor

We didn't have stockings filled at Christmas either. We got a few presents and were happy with what we received. I didn't have stockings for my children either we didn't have a lot of money and were lucky that our children got the gifts they had asked for. My children who are all older adults have never even mentioned that they didn't have Christmas stockings.

Honored Contributor

Fruits and nuts in my stocking. Fruits, candy and a small toy or jewelry in my daughters stocking. Now she gets a card with either cash or gift card and candy.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

When we were very young, it was oranges, apples and coloring books and crayon type things (Born in 1961).

As we got older, my mom hung the stockings but often there was little or nothing in them. She wasn't very good at coming up with cheap but useful things, and just concentrated more on the actual gifts under the tree.

Now that I'm older, I love to do stockings for everyone. Some years, the girls get a kitchen themed stocking, with dish towels, scrub daddies, and other kitchen gadgets. Or perhaps a mixed stocking that has chap stick, gum, postage stamps, note cards and pens, etc.

When my son was little, it was all about Hot Wheels, coloring books and crayons, and candy.

Respected Contributor

As children, our stockings held an orange in the toe, pecans and walnuts in the shell and Hershey's Kisses. As adults, our stockings usually have a few chocolates and some clever gadget-type gift.

Respected Contributor

On 12/2/2014 happygal said:

Our kids would not have been distracted by coloring books on Christmas morning! You must have been wonderful children. We always put in inexpensive, practical things. I shake my head when I see hundred-dollar items touted as "stocking stuffers." Right.

I was born in 1955 so this was a bit before conspicuous consumption became so popular. Our family was never well off, my parents had a Christmas budget (they saved all year with a Christmas Club at the local bank) of $50 for each child.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/2/2014 suzeecat said:

What was in your Christmas stocking when you were young? My parents always put a coloring book and box of crayons in our stockings so that when we inevitably woke up too early we could keep ourselves occupied while our parents caught a few extra minutes of sleep.

Smart parents!

I got coal one year. Really did.