Respected Contributor

Re: The State of American Appliances - Bad News

They don't make anything to last anymore, so when I make a new purchase I try to think of that.  We're building a new house and when I picked the appliances, I kept that in mind and bought mostly just the basic of each appliance except for the range, I did upgrade it but didn't go crazy.  We have to purchase our own refrigerator and again, I won't be goint overboard on what I'm spending, I also look for a good sale.  I usually don't get the extended warranty but most likely will get it on the refrigerator.  

Honored Contributor

Unless reviews are showing consistent breakdowns after a month or so, sometimes a lemon or two slips by.  There should be at least a one-year warranty when buying a new appliance? 

We haven't bought anything new in about 10 years; Whirpool and Samsung are our brands.

But we also have a home warranty that covers repairs; if the appliance is beyond repair we get a replacement value costed in to get a new one.  With a one-time low service charge  regardless of what they have to fix, including parts, it is far more cost effective to pay for an all-inclusive warranty than paying for extended warranties on every appliance.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

I am getting my next refrigerator from Costco - just for the guaranteed support.  Obviously, no matter what brand I pick, I will need it! 

The fridge that just died was 20+ years old, so the current marketplace is a shock to me.

Clean up and REPAIR your old fridge. A refrigerator repairman with over thirty years experience explained to me, whe I asked the questions, “ whicih new refrigerators are hood?” He said NONE. He said one key reason is that in order to be energy efficient, newer fridges use compressors that are too small to adequately continue to do the job and they fail. He said go keep my older refrigerator as long as I could. 

Trusted Contributor

We bought a side by side from Sears in 1991 which we use as a secondary fridge. We had to replace the one in our kitchen several years ago and the repairman told me that refrigerators made after 1998 were always needing repairs. Our old one has never had to be repaired and runs like a top. The repairman also said that he’s had the least amount of repairs for Frigidaire appliances. But that was about six years ago,so things may have changed. 

Esteemed Contributor

Costco gives a 2-year warranty on all large and small appliances. When I purchased my large flat-screen tv from them, I also bought their Square Trade Warranty for $99 --- covered 3 more years.

Costco's extended warranties are reasonably priced.

My Whirlpool Refrigerator is over 23 yrs old - and I never had a problem. Purchased from a chain store that went out of business.

Esteemed Contributor

If I am lucky an appliance will now last about 10 years.

I recently moved into a new home built in 2000. Original GE dishwasher (manual controls) and original Kenmore washer and dryer, with the fewest cycle choices I have ever seen on each. No bleach dispenser- as basic as you can get.

I will certainly keep this in mind when they eventually quit. Until then, I am keeping them.

Honored Contributor

A Maytag dishwasher and frig failed within 3 and 7 years.  I went to other brands, but our independent dealer told me Maytag has gone back to US production.  I will re-buy Maytag next time, as I'm sure there will be one eventually.  No electronics no frills units. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Appliances are made to break. The big corps. couldn't care less about quality products. They only care about taking our money....continuously. All the fake concern they put forth about caring for the environment....how many appliances or parts are ending up in landfills??

I wish I could buy appliances from the 60's or the 70's (& I WOULD). I just want appliances to work & LAST....nothing computerized. It's not like anything is inexpensive- it's ALL expensive. 

I have a very bad attitude when it comes to new appliances. I don't like being taken advantage of. I also don't like to hire repairmen who charge a fortune & take advantage of me. I find it all sickenlying dishonest. 

Esteemed Contributor

We got all brand new GE appliances when we built our home in 2007.

Several YEARS ago, our side by side computer or something stopped working and talking to our ice and water dispenser, so now we have to dig in the ice tray to get ice.  He suggested that I not pay to fix that because the freezer door was already starting to separate, and there is condensation on the outside of the door at all times.

Our GE microwave is having issues too. 

Hate GE products.  He said is truck was full of GE replacement parts.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips, someone on this board said they had a relative who was an appliance repairman.  He said this of GE ‘Generally Expensive’.  I don’t know if that’s fair these days.  All of them seem unreliable.  My fridge (Kenmore) is 13 years old.  Although it runs ok, I am window shopping for a new one.  I think it will go any time.  LM