QVC Customer Care

Re: The State of American Appliances - Bad News

Honored Contributor

Very timely subject---my applainces are 18 years old, and have had amazing luck with not having  any repairs needed.  I have been wondering if repairing is better than buying new ones---I would LOVE new ones!!! But after hearing how much the parts are and how much the repair would be, I bought a repair service  contract from Sears that will cover my appliances--had my refer fixed and just had my dryer fixed; next week my dishwasher gets a fix. Now if I have to do this alot, then I would buy new. But not much into the bells and whistles that the new things have, which are more expensive to replace and that wear out faster. I have a $75 deductible that I pay but that is all. Plus a monthy fee. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl, my appliances are 13 years old.  I just replaced the Kenmore Fridge because the wait time for a new one is 5 weeks,  No way am I going to take the chance of being without a fridge for that long.  I bought a Whirlpool after copious research and it is all set up now.  No one carries inventory of the kind of fridge I wanted.

My range is dual fuel (gas cooktop, electric convection oven).  It is a Bosch. Same with my dishwasher.  Bosch, stainless steel interior, tall tub, buried element.  Those better last a long time, especially the range, as we paid a small fortune for them.  I love both of them.

The next to die will probably be Kenmore Elite HE washing machine.  Still going strong.  That one I will just let die.

I think it is awful how poor the appliances are for what they cost these days.  My fridge is as simple as you can get.  I didn’t even hook up the ice maker.  LM

Honored Contributor

I never have spent much money on washers, dryers and fridges. I buy the cheapest and most simple a brand has to offer. My major appliances are over 20 years old and going strong. It seems the more high tech and fancier the appliance is, there's just more chance for something to go out in it. The stove and fridge I bought for my summer kitchen 3 years ago are the bottom line, no frills of the Whirlpool brand are so far so good.

Honored Contributor

@ Montana

Thank you for posting the link.  It's very sad for the consumer, as well as the Earth - so much waste.

I'm not sure if they addressed the subject of buying extended warranties.  I normally do not purchase them, but maybe in the future it would be wise.  Do the extended warranties cover these issues?

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I don't need an article to tell me how bad the state of American appliances are because I have been living it for quite a while.  The only thing that I have not replaced in multiples is my dishwasher, which was the only one that they could deliver on a certain day and was relatively inexpensive.  I am just keeping my fingers crossed that it lasts a little longer.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom-- my appliances all  came from Sears, 18 years ago and while not all are the Kenmore brand, they are all made by the same manufacturer. I did just buy a new washer/dryer a couple years ago tho, from Home Depot. Had to have the dryer looked at recently and the guy found a wire with a tiny plug that was not attached all the way; he plugged it in, heard a click and that was the fix. So when it was being assembled in the factory, someone didn't quite attached it tight enough. the simpler the better for me ; don't need alot of bells and whistles.

Trusted Contributor

i w on't buy a new applicance.  i will only buy used.  the cost is a fraction and if it goes bad, you are out very little

lg is the worest.  the serviceman here won't even try to repair them

Valued Contributor

We just had a story recently on the local news about a family that spend $4,300 on one of those Samsung refrigerators that have the iPad kind of thing on the front of the refrigerator.  Well, the refrigerator stopped working shortly after they bought it and when they called to local Samsung repair service because it was still under warrranty since they had just purchased it, they couldn't find a repairman that could fix it.  Apparently all the stupid electronics on the front of the frig still work, but the frig itself stopped working so these people have been reduced to using coolers in their kitchen to keep their food cold.  Anyway, Samsung sent out three different repairmen, none of which were able to fix the fridge.  Apparently, Samsung said there aren't any repairmen "certified" in our area to fix this model fridge.  

Honored Contributor

My daughter bought an older washer and dryer in perfect condition for 400.00. The sellers wanted something more modern. I wish I had them lol though mine work fine.