Esteemed Contributor

Re: The State of American Appliances - Bad News

Consumer Reports suggested fixing old refrigerators rather than bujying new ones! I held off- but then my older almond unit looked so off in my kitchen. My new frig is as simple as possible- I avoided as many bells/whistles as I could! I bought the 5 yr warranty that covers everything from soup to nuts - including a full credit if the unit turns out to be a lemon. It was only $150 extra. That's the price for a repair person to just walk into my house! 

Honored Contributor

My brother in law worked in appliance and electronics repair for Sears for decades, and he says that it's all a cr@p shoot now, and brands mean nothing.

The least amount of technology and the fewer bells and whistles will help with things lasting. 

Most people won't do this, but if you can source older appliances second hand, you are going to be much farther ahead. But most people want the latest and greatest style/color/features.

Many estate sales and auctions have really good quality older appliances in them. Even if they fail in a few years, you paid a mere fraction of what a new one costs, and will probably last the same amount of time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This article talks about American appliances:

https://medium.com/@ryanfinlay/they-used-to-last-50-years-c3383ff28a8e

For those who don’t click on links, Google “They Used To Last 50 Years” by Ryan Finlay.

Honored Contributor

@ Montana  Your article talks about rust - my 5 year old GE washer the parts that hold in the washtub literally rusted through and the tub fell out of the washer as soon as the repairman took the back off the machine. I said - Oh I guess that's the problem. He just said - you need a new machine.

Trusted Contributor

That's what the Sears repair guy who came out 3 times within the first couple of months after we bought our new refrigerator said. He said don't bother exchanging the appliance, because they are all designed to malfunction early. Just keep repairing whatever stops working and make sure to sign up for the extended warranties in the mail. The one we replaced had been there for at least 20 years (was there when we moved in).

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

My dryer is from 1988 !! Still going strong, especially after I replaced the duct work.  And the only reason the matching washer kicked the bucket is the on/off handle broke off-  they couldn't find a replacement part. 

Esteemed Contributor

I know that we should aty away from ones with ice makers, but I HAVE TO have one in mine.....

Hubby and I have been married 40+ years and he would always take ice but never fill the trays. I got tired of arguing about it!!  I would be out gardening and come in for a cold glass of water and there would be nothing but empty trays.....My last 2 fridges have/had ice makers and thank God  (knock on wood) I haven't had a problem...

Other than that he is pretty thoughtfuf...LOL

Honored Contributor

When we bought our appliances (4 years ago) & last year Samsung french door fridge the salesman at Famous Tate specifically told us "appliances will last about 5-6 years the way they are manufactured today".  Then he told us not to buy extended warranty -- waste of $$$ because 1/2 the stuff not covered.

I already replaced my GE appliances after 4 years - microwave & dishwasher😤

Honored Contributor

I'm beginning to think two cheap apartment size refrigerators might be a better choice than a big one with all the options.

Honored Contributor

My late husband was an investor and a builder.  We had access to appliances (all brands) that builders have.

I'd go into the warehouses and pick out what I wanted and he paid for them.  It was wonderful.

Then lightning hit our house and we had to get another new refrigerator.  No problem.

Three years later he died.  Shortly later so did the refrigerator.  I'd never bought on on my own, just picked them out.  It had to fit exactly within the kitchen cabinets.

Anyway, trying to decide and get 'the right one' took me almost 3 weeks.  I lived without a refrigerator.  I did just fine.  The only problem I had is that I like really cold drinks and ice in everything.  I spent a fortune on ice (for the drinks).

Anyway, So far it's working out.  It's a side by side and makes ice and it suits me just fine.

I remember the Sears guy told me way back then that if things (especially appliances) were made to last the manufacturers would go out of business.  Made sense.

My saying has always been....if it's old and works, hang on to it, it's better than anything you can buy these days.

The dishwasher is JennAire as is the cooktop.  But the racks on the dishwasher are rusting.  I've priced the racks and together they are over $500!  The dishwasher works great and I love it.  I guess I'll cough up the $500 for new top and bottom racks.

My son-in-law said it's really bad for dishwashers to not use the dryer part because moisture stays inside causing the racks to rust.

I'm like many of you.....old is better (in some people too).