Respected Contributor

The State of American Appliances - Bad News

[ Edited ]

I need a new refrigerator, but no brand has consistently good reviews. None of them are any good. I was just reading about a $4,000 fridge that stopped working after a month. So you can’t even get what you pay for anymore.

There are reasons for this state of affairs. The video below explains why.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hk2TfF1M4r8

This is very discouraging. 

ETA: For those who don’t click on links, Google 

“Faulty appliances: Repairmen reveal industry    

secrets”

Contributor

Re: The State of American Appliances - Bad News

We paid over $3500 for our LG about 6 years ago & it died last week.  At first it was the compressor which we had replaced, then that didn't solve the problem.  Only the freezer was out.  After an authorized repairman serviced it, out it went again!  He came back and told us the repair would cost as much as a new one.  He was right.  We had to buy a new one and went with GE vowing never to buy another LG.  FRUSTRATION!!!!!  Sometimes I wish we had had the LG repaired as it was a beauty but, for the money, we are happy enough with the GE.  

Valued Contributor

Re: The State of American Appliances - B'ad News

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what brand you buy...Our whirlpool refrigerator's mother board went out after 1 1/2 yrs...luckily we had the extended warranty...

The repairman told us all the new appliances are made that way...he replaced the mother board and told us this new one would probably last longer than the original...

He also told us to make sure we extended the warranty when it came due, especially on the refrigerator, as they tend to go out more frequently than other appliances...

We don't normally purchase the extra warranty, but in this case, I'm glad we did....

I think the whole thing is a scam, but what can you do?  

Unfortunately, it's the way of the world nowdays...everything is CHEAP!! ,and I guess we have to accept it...but not too happy about the whole thing...JMHO..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I We had th top of the line GE monogram refrigerator...the motherboard went out after a year....$4000 to replace that part? The repairman told me the life of a new refrigerator now is five years. I recall our first Kenmore we bought in the late '70s lasted over 25 yrs with no problems at all. The GE died completely and couldn't t be fixed...bought an LG since it was quick and easy to get....but didn't buy the top model. If it's cold and makes ice...I will be happy. Daughter built a new house last year and put in a Sub Zero....after 8 months, it needs repairs that will be $15k....outrageous. They don't make  'em like they used to.

Respected Contributor

I am getting my next refrigerator from Costco - just for the guaranteed support.  Obviously, no matter what brand I pick, I will need it! 

The fridge that just died was 20+ years old, so the current marketplace is a shock to me.

Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I We had th top of the line GE monogram refrigerator...the motherboard went out after a year....$4000 to replace that part? The repairman told me the life of a new refrigerator now is five years. I recall our first Kenmore we bought in the late '70s lasted over 25 yrs with no problems at all. The GE died completely and couldn't t be fixed...bought an LG since it was quick and easy to get....but didn't buy the top model. If it's cold and makes ice...I will be happy. Daughter built a new house last year and put in a Sub Zero....after 8 months, it needs repairs that will be $15k....outrageous. They don't make  'em like they used to.

I have a 35 year old GE in the basement.  Chugging away.  It doesn't connect to the internet or tell me when to buy more milk.  It doesn't even make ice.  It just works.  What more could I ask of it

Valued Contributor

Montana ....what is the guarantee on appliances at Costco? Is it a longer length warranty?

Respected Contributor

Just wanted to point out that you posted a link to a Canadian show about appliances made by American and Korean companies. Seems like this is much more than an American appliances issue.

Respected Contributor

@Elom wrote:

Montana ....what is the guarantee on appliances at Costco? Is it a longer length warranty?

@Elom Costco website says they extend the manufacturer’s warranty by two years from the date of purchase.  They also provide free technical support for any appliances or other electronics they sell through their Concierge Service.

I am not a member of Costco yet, so I have no personal experience with them but I am going to give them a try.  I figure they can’t possibly be worse than the big box appliance stores.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My cousin is an appliance repairman - he tells me over & over not to buy appliances with electronics in them. I buy the cheapest appliances with the least possible features, but they last & last for me. And at least if they do break - my cousin can fix them.

Another thing he told me is to never use bleach in your washer if you live near the ocean. The salt air plus bleach will rot your washer. If you MUST bleach something take it to the laundro mat.