Respected Contributor

I am very sensitive to sounds so this non-stop rooster crowing all day would also drive me crazy.  Doesn't it bother anyone else?  Can you report it anonymously?  or Would you be comfortable confronting the owners and telling them the rooster is driving you mad and can they do something about it?  I hate when you're put in a situation that is confrontational through no fault of your own.  I would probably wind up calling Animal Control.  Sorry for your situation.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia  I just researched "roosters crowing" online. Articles said that on average, a rooster crows 12-15 times per day. The articles also stated that a rooster crows to stake out his territory, so maybe it will be less frequent in the future. If you talk with your neighbors, maybe they can figure out some solutions to have their rooster crow less often. I wouldn't call Animal Control and risk creating animosity with neighbors you continue to live near. And, it certainly isn't the rooster's fault.

Why oh why do people think it's OK to break the law.  We have zoning for a reason.  I would not be happy....and I thought my lazy, do NOTHING to their yard neighbors were a problem...

Esteemed Contributor

Update on the rooster:  no kidding, two days after I posted about my concerns, the rooster has been silent!

DH and I believe that we are not the only ones who have been bothered, and someone was at their wits end like we have been, and said something.  

That is, unless my neighbor is reading these boards!  I don't care what the reason is.  I'm just glad it's quiet and I don't get woken up.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

Nice big pot of chicken soup before the summer gets hot?

Sorry.  I love animals.  I just cannot tolerate animals that are a nuisance because of their owners.  And neighbors that don't control their kids that run wild & screaming in the street & sidewalk or do not secure their trash that ends up on my property.  I know...off topic, sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

@Scorpio1971 , I couldn't agree more!  The way I look at it is, what if everybody did it?  What if the shoe were on the other foot, so to speak? (like, kept chickens and roosters where they're not allowed, let their trash blow all over - etc).    There are rules in place for a reason.  I'm a lover of animals too; unfortunately they have little control over their destiny.

Ultimately the owner has to take responsibility, to the animals, and to the people they live amongst.

Cogito ergo sum
Frequent Contributor

Very selfish and thoughtless when neighbors put you in a position to have to make a call, to do the right thing. They, don't care that you smell and hear a rooster or a dog bark all day. I, lived next door to someone that brought in a rooster and thank god at that time i was renting, i moved, but he didn't care when i spoke to him about the noise the rooster was making. I, tried a peaceful solution, but when people only care about what they want and not others it's a bad situation, and it's not a good teaching moment for their children to watch and learn very bad behavior a self centered person can do.

Honored Contributor

Why did they even have a rooster unless they wanted baby chicks?

Hens don't need a rooster to lay eggs.

Honored Contributor

I would want to be "paid off" in fresh eggs.....

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter , I think there is a delicacy, young unborn chicks.  Or yes, of course, they want progeny, which is likely, too.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

@CelticCrafter , I think there is a delicacy, young unborn chicks. 

Yes, perhaps they like to snack on balut, a Filipino specialty,  I ate one when I was in the Philippines many years ago.   Not a fan but, you know, when in Rome...