Esteemed Contributor

The Rooster Next Door

[ Edited ]

Some of my neighbors have chickens; we are not zoned for it, but keeping an open mind, I try to overlook it.  They're really not a bother.

One of them keeps a rooster and he crows all day long.  It's maddening.  This bird is not far from my house.  The owner knows I don't like it.

I'd like to call Animal Control!  However, that would likely nail another neighbor, who has chickens but no rooster, and I don't wish harm.  On either of them, really, but I've had it with the crowing.

Negotiating would be ideal, I realize, but it could also be a source of tension.  If I call, Animal Control takes care of it (they've already said they would).

What to do?

ETA spelling error!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I would say something to the neighbors you like, and let them know that animal control will be your last resort.  They may have a suggestion or be willing to talk to the other neighbor.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Some of my neighbors have chickens; we are not zoned for it, but keeping an open mind, I try to overlook it.  They're really not a bother.

One of them keeps a rooster and he crows all day long.  It's maddening.  This bird is not far from my house.  The owner knows I don't like it.

I'd like to call Animal Control!  However, that would likely nail another neighbor, who has chickens but no rooster, and I don't wish harm.  On either of them, really, but I've had it with the crowing.

Negotiating would be ideal, I realize, but it could also be a source of tension.  If I call, Animal Control takes care of it (they've already siad they would).

What to do?

i would definitely not tolerate a rooster crowing all day....i would call Animal Control....too bad for your other neighbors......but your neighborhood is not zoned for it......

Esteemed Contributor

If the rooster was driving me crazy, I would call Animal control. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yeah.  It is making me mad.

I've thought about getting the other neighbor to intercede but (long story) it could be a land mine.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  I just researched "roosters crowing" online. Articles said that on average, a rooster crows 12-15 times per day. The articles also stated that a rooster crows to stake out his territory, so maybe it will be less frequent in the future. If you talk with your neighbors, maybe they can figure out some solutions to have their rooster crow less often. I wouldn't call Animal Control and risk creating animosity with neighbors you continue to live near. And, it certainly isn't the rooster's fault.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @Desert Lily .  15 times per day would be nothing but I appreciate your insight.  I'm chomping at the bit but of course I want peace with my neighbors, too.

He's been pretty vocal for a couple of years now.  He's got a lot of love interests.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  I would give the neighbors a chance to deal with their rooster's crowing. If this has been going on for years and they didn't know it bothered anyone, they wouldn't know you want them to deal with it.

I have a neighbor who every evening rides his racing motorcycle up and down the street, practicing over and over. I'm not fond of the noise, but in the greater scheme of things it's nothing. To me, it's nothing, not worth creating contention over, and I wouldn't want to cast the first stone. He and his family may be very good neighbors in many ways.

Esteemed Contributor

Why should your neighbor not worry about the people around the rooster. It's selfish they don't care and let this happen. Call animal control and don't worry about it. Apperantly they don't. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I see what you're saying, @Desert Lily .  There was a little dust up when they decided to let the chickens "free range".

That was a definite no.  I am an avid gardener and that just didn't work on half acre lots, and my German shepherd.

Small problem, I guess, until you are napping with the windows open!  (The whole thing is not legal, but then again I am not perfect, I know).  There were geese.  Now they are loud.  (They have passed).

Cogito ergo sum