Trusted Contributor

Our neighbor has 150 yes 150 chickens....there are at least 6 roosters...she sells eggs...we have 1.5 acres....she has a little less than an acre...so we are close.  We have gotten used to the crowing I guess...it really doesn't seem to bother us...continual barking dogs drive me nuts though.  

If the chickens get into my yard somehow though..then we have discussions..lol...they will scratch up a flower bed in no time...

We are in a country setting.  Not within city limits so rules are different for us.  In town you are allowed 4 hens..no roosters...

I do get free eggs ...DH enjoys them...I'm plant based so I don't eat them..DW

Esteemed Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

Our neighbor has 150 yes 150 chickens....there are at least 6 roosters...she sells eggs...we have 1.5 acres....she has a little less than an acre...so we are close.  We have gotten used to the crowing I guess...it really doesn't seem to bother us...continual barking dogs drive me nuts though.  

If the chickens get into my yard somehow though..then we have discussions..lol...they will scratch up a flower bed in no time...

We are in a country setting.  Not within city limits so rules are different for us.  In town you are allowed 4 hens..no roosters...

I do get free eggs ...DH enjoys them...I'm plant based so I don't eat them..DW

Dear God, I cannot imagine. My grandparents had chickens, maybe 20 and about 80 acres. I cannot imagine what 150 chickens would sound like. Free eggs or not.

I am in the country, and a "neighbor" who is about probably 5 miles as the crow flies has gotten chickens and at least one rooster. They don't bother me, but I am aware of the crowing when I am out. I can't even fathom living right next to 150 chickens. You must be a saint, I'm sorry you are living with that. I truly am. 

Does the same woman have the continual barking dogs? 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Desert Lily wrote:

Hi @ECBG  . Thanks for sharing and thanks for the advice. However, I wouldn't consider calling the police about the noise. I'm thinking more about the Golden Rule. Maybe my child (or even me) played music too loud in the past, or neighbors could hear my nonstop smoke alarm wind down as the battery was dying out, or one of us hit the wrong part of the car key fob & the car alarm went off, etc. No one ever called to complain about us - it's all part of the "noise "of life that we all make I guess - and I wouldn't call about them.

@Desert Lily 

Not with something that bombards you, which is beyond reasonable.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Desert Lily wrote:

Hi @ECBG  . Thanks for sharing and thanks for the advice. However, I wouldn't consider calling the police about the noise. I'm thinking more about the Golden Rule. Maybe my child (or even me) played music too loud in the past, or neighbors could hear my nonstop smoke alarm wind down as the battery was dying out, or one of us hit the wrong part of the car key fob & the car alarm went off, etc. No one ever called to complain about us - it's all part of the "noise "of life that we all make I guess - and I wouldn't call about them.

@Desert Lily 

Not with something that bombards you, which is beyond reasonable.  

@ECBG @Desert Lily

It is a loud squaking noise that happens at intervals several times an hour.  ALL day.  And it is several notes each time--er er er 3 to 5 notes. In town it is NOT part of the noise of life. Imagine the fire alarm in your house squaking loudly several times an hour.  All day. 

Plus, chickens are nasty.  They can denude a yard of grass leaving dust, dander and feathers as they go--not to mention other artifacts they happily drop. 

Trusted Contributor

@happycat  No she doesn't have the barking dogs.  Its a neighbor behind us.  But they have gotten better.  Our county does have barking dog laws, I'm thinking someone reported it.  As long as the chickens stay on her side I tolerate it.  DW 

Esteemed Contributor

So I'm in bed this morning, window cracked, dog snuggling, sun rising, blissfully awakening to the last minutes of dream time, and guess what ruins the serenity? THE ROOSTER

I appreciate all the responses!  I've been chuckling this morning, and thrown these perspectives into the mix as I think this through.

If all else fails, and I decide to do nothing, there is a housing development being built nearby.  Land development is pricey because of location and a complexity of infrastructure that has to go in, so the houses are going to be expensive.  I suspect potential buyers there will object to a) the noisy rooster and b) nearby residents running "afoul" of local ordinances.

The developer is aware of the birds.  We walked the property to discuss boundaries and buffers and the situation became evident.  This whole thing may come to a head on its own.  They have other priorities right now; ultimately, the goal will be to sell these properties.  They see themselves as "improving" this area.  Not sure that includes a rooster.  Or chickens, for that matter.

Have a "roosterless" day!

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

I'd turn the rooster neighbor in.  I had a next door neighbor that had chickens.  One of my bedroom windows was pretty close to the side yard where the chickens (and their housing) was kept.  While they don't make a whole lot of noise, I could hear them a lot at night if that bedroom window was open.  They would fly/jump on top of their small chicken coop type space and they make some sort of squawking sound when they do.  It wasn't a major problem but if I was having trouble sleeping, this added to it.  The gal that lived there did ask me beforehand if I would mind.  I told her as long as there were no roosters, I would be OK with it.  She moved about 3 years ago and took the chickens with her.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

You know what, @shoptilyadropagain , yes, the chicken noise can be disconcerting.  That would be one thing if they were allowed by ordinance to be there.

I haven't begun to address the ducks.  I walk out, they quack (when they remain confined, which is a whole 'nother issue - they are not happy).

The trash removal service here has finally put their foot down to removing the "compost" the chickens produce.

Oh here goes the rooster!  

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Could you tell AC that you have nothing against the chickens, but the crowing all day is driving you crazy?  That is disturbing your peace.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

You know what, @shoptilyadropagain , yes, the chicken noise can be disconcerting.  That would be one thing if they were allowed by ordinance to be there.

I haven't begun to address the ducks.  I walk out, they quack (when they remain confined, which is a whole 'nother issue - they are not happy).

The trash removal service here has finally put their foot down to removing the "compost" the chickens produce.

Oh here goes the rooster!  

@Sweetbay magnolia   I would love to have the chicken droppings, fabulous for a garden. Smiley Happy