Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia  I would give the neighbors a chance to deal with their rooster's crowing. If this has been going on for years and they didn't know it bothered anyone, they wouldn't know you want them to deal with it.

I have a neighbor who every evening rides his racing motorcycle up and down the street, practicing over and over. I'm not fond of the noise, but in the greater scheme of things it's nothing. To me, it's nothing, not worth creating contention over, and I wouldn't want to cast the first stone. He and his family may be very good neighbors in many ways.

@Desert Lily 

You can call the police on your issue easily because of noise ordinances.

My neithborhood of 20 ish neibors is a rollercoaster.  We had kids on somethang smaller than a moped racing around.  The noise echoed.  I couldn't even sit on my deck in peace.  One call fixed it.

Honored Contributor

In out town, it is illegal to have a rooster although you can have I think about 3 hens.  We had a rooster crowing near us and yes, ALL DAY.  

When I retired and was home all day , I called the animal control and they relocated the rooster.  It will drive you nuts. 

Did we consult the neighbor?  No.  They didn't consult us about getting that rooster and keeping it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @godi , I am leaning your way!

Some people around here are nostalgic for the farming community that has gone away.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner , I knew I liked you!

(yes, it will drive you crazy)

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

Chicken feed is a magnet for Mice and Rats. Good luck with that.

Esteemed Contributor

For the life of me I don't understand why chickens are allowed to be raised within city limits. I may have a bias against them since my grandparents had a lot of chickens on their farm, and I know that they are not the cleanest of animals. Regarding the rooster, I would call Animal Control. The neighbor is not within zoning requirements, so you have every right to ask AC to take over the situation. Enough is enough!

Esteemed Contributor

@sweetee2 , I have definitely made trade offs to enjoy the property I currently own!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Hi @ECBG  . Thanks for sharing and thanks for the advice. However, I wouldn't consider calling the police about the noise. I'm thinking more about the Golden Rule. Maybe my child (or even me) played music too loud in the past, or neighbors could hear my nonstop smoke alarm wind down as the battery was dying out, or one of us hit the wrong part of the car key fob & the car alarm went off, etc. No one ever called to complain about us - it's all part of the "noise "of life that we all make I guess - and I wouldn't call about them.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @jannabelle1 , they can pollute the watershed and we live in a wetlands.  There is a nostalgia for farming and we have lived on an out-of-the-way place which is now developing, where folks routinely break "the rules".  There's a certian beauty in that, but it can go amok!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

Hi @ECBG  . Thanks for sharing and thanks for the advice. However, I wouldn't consider calling the police about the noise. I'm thinking more about the Golden Rule. Maybe my child (or even me) played music too loud in the past, or neighbors could hear my nonstop smoke alarm wind down as the battery was dying out, or one of us hit the wrong part of the car key fob & the car alarm went off, etc. No one ever called to complain about us - it's all part of the "noise "of life that we all make I guess - and I wouldn't call about them.

@Desert Lily 

Not with something that bombards you, which is beyond reasonable.