Respected Contributor

The REAL problem with those easy to hack devices like Alexa, Nest, etc

My DH friend was over yesterday for the bowl games, he is a cybersecurity expert for global company's.  

We do not have any smart home devices due to his advice.

He explained the problem is NOT that hackers are listening in to you and your family as they really do not care the REAL problem is that they use the device to hack into your internet system and EVERYTHING you do online.  You go online to check your 401K or bank account, they can follow you now and forever.  Now they have your accounts and passwords.  They set up a 'marker'  (I think that was the word he used) and records everything all the time.  They can then use or sell this information.

The things he reports that are available to buy and sell on the dark web range from interesting to disturbing.  

Please be safe!

If you do want to use such devices you certainly can just be sure to use at least a 2 step internet authentication password access process and change it monthly.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The REAL problem with those easy to hack devices like Alexa, Nest, etc

Good information to know.   I don't own any of those new security devices nor talking boxes.  Plan to keep it that way.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

I have none of those devices and will not buy them.  I don't even have a "smartphone."  So far, don't see any benefit to it.  Technology has become an addiction for many people and I find that disturbing and sad.

Trusted Contributor

I'm always afraid of getting hacked.  That's why I only use cash in the stores, and credit, not debit cards online.

The only place I use my debit card is at my bank, and I still feel like I'm at risk.

Scary stuff, that dark web.

Honored Contributor

You have to be diligent and change your passwords often and yes, use a 2-step authentication. It's not scarey, you just have to be a smart consumer. We are small business owners that began our business long before the internet was even invented. We have learned, long ago, that you have to outsmart the bad guys.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

You have to be diligent and change your passwords often and yes, use a 2-step authentication. It's not scarey, you just have to be a smart consumer. We are small business owners that began our business long before the internet was even invented. We have learned, long ago, that you have to outsmart the bad guys.

You are absolutely correct!

The problem is keeping up with the technology.  We had no idea how to set up the 2-step authentication on our WiFi, neither did the Comcast technician!! 

We had to call our friend over and he did it but it required a trip to Best Buy as the modem or router or whatever did not have the necessary component.  

Not everyone has the money, resources or access to such tech support.  It is hard!

Do you have resources to share for those who would like to learn? Is there somewhere you go to stay up to date?  Many people need help.

Esteemed Contributor

It is funny to see all the network that come up to.

It they are locked but still called Netgear, you know the owners are too dumb to also think about changing the second password from admin.

Honored Contributor

It's not hard.  If you buy one of those devices, you use the security that they put in the instructions.  All of it. I believe it's a 3 step authentication process.  And you make your Passwords long with a combination of numbers and  symbols.  A lot of people still use one or two passwords for everything and they are short and easy to guess.   

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's not hard.  If you buy one of those devices, you use the security that they put in the instructions.  All of it. I believe it's a 3 step authentication process.  And you make your Passwords long with a combination of numbers and  symbols.  A lot of people still use one or two passwords for everything and they are short and easy to guess.   

Finally, someone who knows how to set up multiple passwords on your internet firewall.  

You are more savvy than the Comcast/Xfinity tech who only set up one password.

Can you please direct people to a helpful tutorial on this?

I am sure it would be appreciated!