Honored Contributor

Today I went through my rolltop desk drawers, had papers in there from back in 2008...why I don't know, happy to report they are now in a bag to be shredded and my desk drawers are easy to look through now. Yea!! I have been dreading this chore forever, one of my most disliked chores, for sure.

"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor
On 1/22/2014 IAMASTAR said:

I admire your plan of attack...February 1. Would you mind if we sort of form a little group and report in to each other on how we're progressing?? I've been trying to do the downsizing thing, but call me the Queen of Procrastination! If I had to "check in" I think I would have a lot more success in my efforts plus I'm thinking we'd also give each other encouragement.

What do you think? I really need help! I find it all so overwhelming, but know I need to do it and soon.

Would appreciate any feedback! Thanks!~Cool

I will definitely be part of your forum. I have been posting about my hubby finally cleaning out our basement. It has been very slow, but I am so thankful that he is finally cleaning out. About 1 month in and about 4 garbage cans later, he is still going. I am planning by his rules. Love him after 45 yrs, however it is so hard. He found a cute old school desk and painted it for our 4 1/2 yr old granddaughter. It is looking really nice. I have been cleaning out for a couple years, and read lots of decluttering books. Today I took an old set of china out of my hutch, and that is one item that I wrapped and stored. I did throw out plastic glasses, several sets of country placemats, knickknacks,... I displayed some beautiful modern red mugs in my overhead glass cabinets. I'm not done, it sometimes takes several trips through.

Honored Contributor

I have been enjoying reading everyone's posts in this thread...inspired me to do another purge of anything I had second thoughts about holding onto

Contributor

What a good thread, Upsidedown. I started purging the spare bedroom closets that held a lot of "Someday" clothing and older coats that I've since replaced. I also put a lot of photos in photo albums that were sitting around in shoe boxes. While I was going through everything, I ran across a few photos of my Airedale Terrier ("Sarge") that passed away in '94. What a treasured find. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

I usually spend the winter months cleaning out every closet/cupboard/drawer in my house before doing the "spring cleaning". So you'd think I am in really good shape. NOT. Everything in my home is neat, clean, has a place, is organized, but there is just too much of it!

My linen closets are so packed, and even though clean, folded, colorized and organized, you almost can't get the doors closed. To get out one thing, means moving 10 others. I just don't want to live like this anymore. I started by going through all the towels in that closet, gave a bunch to our vet (a local cat rescue burned here a week ago, and they are housing 50 cats with no where to go) as they were in need of towels and blankets. I threw several to the car rag pile (for drying the cars), and several of the rags were beyond even being called rags, so to the trash they went. I have come to the place where if a new something comes into the house, at least one old one has to go out.

I ordered some Space bags, and they arrived today, so I'm headed to the blanket/quilt/pillow closet to try to seal up some quilts and afghans that my grandmother made, that get little use, but I want to save, and I hope to make some serious room in there. I will be bagging up the off season linens, and am anxious to see if I can make that closet livable.

I think when this job seems overwhelming, it is easier to pick one thing, be it a linen closet, a kitchen drawer, or your dresser, and do it, do it thoroughly, then bask in the glory of organization and space. It motivates one to move on to the next project, and given enough time, the whole house will be done.

Honored Contributor

I currently have a box in front of me with a few hundred cards/letters/postcards etc. DH and or I have received over the years we've been married (and even some earlier than that when I was still single from family/friends).

My common sense logic wants to just save one or 2 from each family member/friend...lets say a handful or a little more and throw the rest out. DH and I don't have kids, so no family member would want them anyway when we pass on.

Well, last night I tried to do the "purge" on these and I'm just not doing well. It seems nearly every B-Day card, Christmas card, post card, letter, etc has some sentimental comments that mean a lot...for one reason or another.

I know life is not going to end if I just keep all of them and save myself the trouble...sigh. I did think of scanning them, but the # of them to do would be just crazy. I'd rather spend my time doing other things.

Anyone else have this problem and become successful with the outcome I'm looking for? Suggestions please! Smile

Honored Contributor
On 2/1/2014 Susan Louise said:

I currently have a box in front of me with a few hundred cards/letters/postcards etc. DH and or I have received over the years we've been married (and even some earlier than that when I was still single from family/friends).

My common sense logic wants to just save one or 2 from each family member/friend...lets say a handful or a little more and throw the rest out. DH and I don't have kids, so no family member would want them anyway when we pass on.

Well, last night I tried to do the "purge" on these and I'm just not doing well. It seems nearly every B-Day card, Christmas card, post card, letter, etc has some sentimental comments that mean a lot...for one reason or another.

I know life is not going to end if I just keep all of them and save myself the trouble...sigh. I did think of scanning them, but the # of them to do would be just crazy. I'd rather spend my time doing other things.

Anyone else have this problem and become successful with the outcome I'm looking for? Suggestions please! Smile

Anyone? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Esteemed Contributor

can you scan them into your computer & save thumb drive or DVD?

Honored Contributor

Spending Saturday digging out old dishes I need to get rid of! And digging in my closet to straighten it up! Ugggggghhhhh!

Honored Contributor
On 2/1/2014 Mary Bailey said:

can you scan them into your computer & save thumb drive or DVD?

Hi Mary,

I am trying to avoid scanning them and just want to pair them down to about 20-25 from several hundred. There is just so many...sigh. Maybe I should just toss them all to avoid the headache and deal with the pain of it later {#emotions_dlg.crying}

The problem lies in narrowing them down. For example, my dad would write something nice on each of my cards, he sent me letters, postcards, etc. I would like to go through the 100+ of them (just from him and my mom) and pick out about 5. Choosing is the hard part...they all are sentimental.

If I can narrow all the stuff down to 20-25, then I will scan those...see? Smile