Honored Contributor
I am going to start cleaning out my home beginning Feb 1... One room at a time. I am going to be ruthless! Since I recently retired I have no need for many of my work clothes etc...and I have been saving so much stuff thinking my kids would take it when they bought their own homes, etc....wrong! They don't want any of it....I can't wait to get started...will be a productive way to spend some cold winter days inside.....anyone else about to do this. Do you have a system you use? I will be starting with the kitchen......tossing almost all cookware and buying only the pieces I actually use most often. Keeping my beloved Pyrex and corningware cornflower blue.
Honored Contributor

I wish I had the time and energy to do so and admire your taking this on... I really badly need to pare down and in a big way and also to stop accumulating. I have a lovely large bedroom I can barely get into because it's become 'the junk room'. I've decided that before the year is out I'm going to move into that bedroom, so maybe doing so will force my hand in disposing of lots of stuff and otherwise clearing the clutter. Here's hoping!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

This is one of my favorite things to do.... I just don't understand why people don't enjoy it, lol!

It is so nice to open a closet, drawer, cupboard and have it nice and neat without excess stuff.

Good luck with your project.

Respected Contributor

If you are starting in the kitchen... good starting place. Keep only the number of plates you are really going to need. Same goes for the glasses. Forks, spoons and knives.

Maybe you need only 2-4 each. Toss all the others out.

Sit aside the pans you really use NOW....and toss all others out.

Electric items if you no longer use them...toss them out.

Having a simple neat kitchen is great.

Call your VETS store or Good Will stores and tell them to come get them. Put everything in several boxes. If you start wondering who to give them too it will drive you nuts, and you will not move forward in clearing out the kitchen.

Call a Good Will store or VETS to come pick up all kinds of furniture. Open the door and point out the items for them to take. Done. Finished. Again do not get into the mind set who to give them to or how can you get money for items.

You enjoyed them for years and now its time for someone else to enjoy the items.

Honored Contributor

I am doing the same thing, op, got started, then had some plumbing issues to deal with, ready to start in again. I am slow, but do like the good feeling it gives me. Each day's work gives me incentive for the next step in the project. Good luck and enjoy the feeling of "lightness" you will have.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I'm going to start going through room by room too. My kids don't want stuff either--maybe one does, but doesn't have room for more stuff. I don't entertain so don't need large cooking vessels and many other items. No more parties held here. Want to rid myself of a lot of decorations too. Except for Christmas, just a couple of items for Valentine's Day, Easter and Halloween is plenty now. No kids here. I have quit buying "gadgets" from QVC so that helps. Have to be more serious about parting with some clothes and shoes. It will feel good to have more room when a lot of "junk" is gone.

Honored Contributor
On 1/21/2014 momtodogs said:

This is one of my favorite things to do.... I just don't understand why people don't enjoy it, lol!

It is so nice to open a closet, drawer, cupboard and have it nice and neat without excess stuff.

Good luck with your project.

You should start a business. I'd hire you!
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

I admire your plan of attack...February 1. Would you mind if we sort of form a little group and report in to each other on how we're progressing?? I've been trying to do the downsizing thing, but call me the Queen of Procrastination! If I had to "check in" I think I would have a lot more success in my efforts plus I'm thinking we'd also give each other encouragement.

What do you think? I really need help! I find it all so overwhelming, but know I need to do it and soon.

Would appreciate any feedback! Thanks!~Cool

Regular Contributor
On 1/22/2014 IAMASTAR said:

I admire your plan of attack...February 1. Would you mind if we sort of form a little group and report in to each other on how we're progressing?? I've been trying to do the downsizing thing, but call me the Queen of Procrastination! If I had to "check in" I think I would have a lot more success in my efforts plus I'm thinking we'd also give each other encouragement.

What do you think? I really need help! I find it all so overwhelming, but know I need to do it and soon.

Would appreciate any feedback! Thanks!~Cool

Sign me up! I've been working on downsizing / de-cluttering for a long time. I get sidetracked often and am also in need of encouragement & motivation!

Honored Contributor

Freecycle is also good option, the group where I live is good. I have been working on moving out books.