Esteemed Contributor

Re: The Canopy Bed: Yay or Nay?

Not a fan.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac  I was just going to post the same thing about the movie.  My grandmother had one and when my sister and I stayed there she thought it would be a treat for us  to sleep in her room but.... after seeing that movie I hated it!!!!

Respected Contributor

Definitely a NO here. I do see the point of emphasizing the bed even more than it is, it is already a major piece of furniture in the room. Throw pillows and a throw will add coziness to a bed rather than all this fabric either behind it, over it, or at the corners.

Just kind of dated and heavy. I do not think we have to worry about closing a bed in against drafts anymore, it is called a heater. And as far as for privacy like they once were also used for, there are things called a doorknob with a lock. OK , just being a smarty pants I suppose... 😁

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

I have one in my guest bedroom.  The drapery helps in the cold season if it's heavy and keeps out the cold. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely not.It may look nice but just isn't practical.It's a dust magnate.  It would be impossible to keep it clean. 

Respected Contributor

I want Room #5 for myself!  I would change the artwork tho. I would say nay to a full canopy ( due to my dust allergy) but the semi-canopy shown this room adds elegance.  If I could add the balcony from Room 9 this would be perfect!

I do like the other rooms except #3.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Image result for canopy bed

Valued Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

If the four posts are holding a curved frame it is a canopy.

Image result for little girls french provincial bedroom with canopy bed

If the four posts hold a frame that is flat on top, it is a tester bed. Origonally, in castles, heavy curtains were hung from the frame  to hold in body heat when one slept in a drafty castle.

I have one because it goes well with the antiques.  The carved headboard almost goes to the ceiling.

I would call these shorter versions a half canopy.

I love it! That's the canopy "princess bed" I wanted when I was a kid.

Nowadays, not so much. I think I would find one like this a bit claustrophobic not to mention a dust magnet.

Honored Contributor

Overall, nay. I don't tend to like four posters of any style, though I think some of them are pretty. I suppose I could live with a corona, partial canopy or maybe even a full canopy as long as there are not curtains surrounding the bed. I do not want to sleep surrounded by curtains.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

While I think some canopy beds are very pretty, they are a nay for me. I think a room has to be on the larger side with a high ceiling to make it look right.