Trusted Contributor

Re: The Canopy Bed: Yay or Nay?

Canopy Beds can be lovely in the right room. The room should be large with high ceilings. I prefer the canopy as a built in like a 4 post bed vs  manufactured  canopies. I love the look of a tatted lace over a canopy frame. If the lace or netting is dry cleaned regularly then dust shouldn't be much of a problem. My favorites of your group is #3 or #6.

dee

Respected Contributor

tRe: The Canopy Bed: Yay or Nay?

[ Edited ]

I think a canopy bed is lovely and if you have a bedroom that is large enough and has high ceilings then it is perfect. If you don't then not so much as it really does take up the space in the room.

Valued Contributor

I always wanted one as a child, I had friends that had them. My family could never afford anything that elaborate. As an adult no thanks. To much up keep. 

Honored Contributor

Canopy bed reminds me of something that happened back in the early 1970s.  My niece had one when she was a little girl.  She called it her princess bed. 

Cute story.

I'm her godmother - but I moved across country when she was still a toddler so she never really knew me.   I came back for my btother's wedding when she was about five or so. 

My sister picked me up at the airport and by the time we got to her house, it was late and the kids were asleep. Sis had set up my niece's room for me to sleep.  

Early the next morning, something woke me and I opened my eyes and these three little kids are standing along side the bed looking at me and my niece is telling her brother and sister that that's her fairy godmother sleeping in her princess bed.  It was an adorable moment!

Esteemed Contributor

I love canopies!!

Honored Contributor

No.   There's not one bed pictured that makes me want to crawl into it and go to sleep.   

Honored Contributor

I like some of them but not all.  I had a canopy bed growing up that I loved.  To me, all it would do would be attract dust and dog hair.  I think it would be hard to keep clean.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

i love something about all of them.

regal and refined.

however, what is up with overloading every stand and table with stuff?   way overdone.  i am not a minimalist but i would like to be able to use a stand or table.  with all that stuff you can't use it.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

If the four posts are holding a curved frame it is a canopy.

Image result for little girls french provincial bedroom with canopy bed

If the four posts hold a frame that is flat on top, it is a tester bed. Origonally, in castles, heavy curtains were hung from the frame  to hold in body heat when one slept in a drafty castle.

I have one because it goes well with the antiques.  The carved headboard almost goes to the ceiling.

I would call these shorter versions a half canopy.

Valued Contributor

I love 3 and 4 - soft, romantic and deconstructed. Thank you