Honored Contributor

@RedTop  @Dawnie  @Kachina624  @50Mickey  @Meowingkitty  The pest control company is coming on Tuesday to do the termite inspection.  RedTop, I am surprised they weren't found during all of the things I did this summer, too.  Possibly they didn't recognize what the damage was, but you would think the foundation repair people would have seen it before at least.  I live in East TN, and I do think termites are common here.

I haven't seen the termites or whatever they are, only the damage to the trim around the baseboard.  I'm very anxious for Tuesday to get here to have the inspection.  If I do have termites I will definitely get the termite bond and renew it every year.

Kachina624 I'm so sorry for what you've been through with your house.  Having the whole house replumbed and all of the water damage sounds like an awful lot to deal with.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  OMG  !

Honored Contributor

You can buy do it yourself termite treatments at Lowes and Home Depot.   It will help until you can afford termite bond and treatment.

Respected Contributor

My house is built on a post tension slab, so no foundation.  Supposedly, the builder had had the ground the house was built on treated to repel termites before building in 2003.  I bought the house in 2006 & both the previous owner & I had issues by the front door of seeing the mud tubes that termites build to travel up from the ground to the bottom sill of the house where the stucco starts. 

The original treatment was warranted for 10 years by the outfit that had done the pre-build treatment, so there was no charge when they'd come out & retreat when I'd find mud tubes. 

When the 10 year warranty was up, I had them come out & treat the house & surrounding ground again.  They drilled holes in the concrete of my walks & patio & also the soil around the house & pumped in termite killer & then, patched the holes in the concrete.  I did find one short mud tube last fall in an odd spot on my patio from the concrete up to the bottom sill of one of my patio sliders after we'd had a fair bit of rain. It wasn't a spot that had ever had mud tubes prior.   I scrubbed the mud tube off & soaked the whole length of concrete where my patio met the house with Ortho Home Defense Max spray & haven't seen another mud tube.  I do at least one monthly perimeter patrol around my whole house looking for mud tubes & if I start finding a bunch will have the pro come out & retreat, since it's still under warranty.  

Luckily, I've never found any mud tubes actually inside my house, but my neighbor has, so I'm hyper vigilant.  We used to joke that our houses must've been built on top of a giant termite kingdom, since none of the other neighbors seemed to have the same problems as we did!

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1wrote:

You can buy do it yourself termite treatments at Lowes and Home Depot.   It will help until you can afford termite bond and treatment.

Thanks @Sweet Caroline 1.  If I have termites I will have the professional treatment done.  It might mean that I won't be able to paint the inside of my house as soon as I'd like, but I want to make sure it's done properly.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I live in Florida in a home that is only 8 years old. Concrete block & stucco.When it was built the wood framing used for the inside walls was bright green - we asked why and they told us it had been dipped in a bath to make it termite resistant. We also have regular termite inspection and insect treatment from a pest control co.I can't imagine living in a tropical environment and not having regular pest control.

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

I live in Florida in a home that is only 8 years old. Concrete block & stucco.When it was built the wood framing used for the inside walls was bright green - we asked why and they told us it had been dipped in a bath to make it termite resistant. We also have regular termite inspection and insect treatment from a pest control co.I can't imagine living in a tropical environment and not having regular pest control.

@151949  You may be speaking in general and not to me, but I don't live in a tropical environment.  I live in East TN.  More people probably don't have regular pest control than do.  I've never had a problem with anything more than ants, and I can easily get rid of them myself.  I've lived in this house since 1989.

Termites are definitely a problem here, but I've never seen a reason to treat for them proactively.  They don't even suggest doing this if you don't have a problem.  If this is termites, though, I will keep an ongoing treatment schedule for them.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

The absolute last thing I would ever do is try to treat termites myself with something from a big box store.

Honored Contributor

I edited my original post to show a picture of the damage to the trim at the bottom of the molding.

-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

I live in Kansas in a house built on a slab. Got termites about ten years ago. I think I had them for a year before I realized it. Anyway, they drilled holes in the floor of the affected area and put some poison or something down there. Now I have termite bait stations all around the house and they check and refill quarterly. It’s almost $100 a quarter, and of course, has gone up from the original price. But I don’t feel as though I can let it go.