Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Yes that's what I was talking about in the op. What glue did you use to attach it to the tile? It's old ceramic tile in my shower.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Kachina624 Yes that's what I was talking about in the op. What glue did you use to attach it to the tile? It's old ceramic tile in my shower.

@Greeneyedlady21  That has been over 20 years ago and I just can't remember.  There are many all-purpose glues. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Yeh I hear you about the handy man, I could use one myself for quite a few things that I'd prefer someone with experience to fix than one of my boys, my boys are good at some things but still, there are jobs I'd rather trust to a pro. But speaking of the stupid tension rods....I have one on my kitchen window above the sink. It's not that wide nevertheless I went to pull it down so I could wash the curtains and the ****** rubber caps on the ends had melted or rotted or SOMETHING and were all stuck to the wood window frame, all like crumbly pieces. What a time I had getting it unstuck and all the little white pieces off, it took a lot of time and careful scraping and wetting and scraping. So again Target came to the rescue, however, instead of the twisty kind they only had ones where you adjust it to size then tighten a screw to hold the spring in place. WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT THAT WAS to get it right. Never again. Anyway, I wish you good luck with that rod, don't hurt yourself trying too hard.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tension Rod-Aptly Named

[ Edited ]

I've used Mr. Handyman a few times.  They are very good, but they are extremely expensive.  Make sure you have quite a bit for them to do before you call them.  Think of every little thing you could possibly need done so they don't have to come back for a while.  Also make sure you have all the supplies they might need to buy.  If they have to go get something you pay for the time, of course.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

I had the same problem.  Put Gorilla Tape on each end and so far so good.  I, also, have the Butterfly Meadow curtain.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I gave up on those tension rods.  I got them tight so they didn't fall down, but when I took them down from the wall they also took out a piece of the painted dry wall.

I installed a curved rod that has scre wed brackets on each end.  It's great, and it seems to give me more room in the tub.  It's not hard to install,  just a step stool and a power  scr ew driver.  Just put the brackets on the side of the tile wall.

Respected Contributor

BTW, that picture makes me think of the movie Psycho.

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 The curved ones that they sell now are awesome. You can do tension or put directly into the wall. I vote for putting in the wall and patching if you have to down the road.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

20170703_152158.png

@Greeneyedlady21  @Kachina624  Geez I can sympathize!  Why is it that things that should be so simple turn out to be so difficult?  I think Kachina has the best idea with using those sockets.  Smart solution!  In the meantime, I'm wondering if you can try scuffing up the ends of the rubber caps with some sand paper.  Maybe the caps are too slick and the tile is slick so there's nothing for each surface to grab onto?  Just a thought.  The sockets though are a really good idea!    

Honored Contributor

Well past 24 hours and it's still up-on the drywall. Woohoo!

Got one of those hookless shower curtains as a lighter option. It's not as pretty as the butterfly meadow. If the rod stays up I will try butterfly meadow again in a few weeks. And hold my breath.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"