Honored Contributor

A shower curtain tension rod has been the bane of my existence for many days now. Causing me so much /$^%=& tension. 

Here is the saga

Last year I replaced a very old one in a very old tiled bathroom. Old rod was holding Lenox Butterfly Meadow shower curtain and thick heavy liner. Never fell down for years and years.

Last summer I changed the rod, old one just looked bad. Never fell down until a few days ago. Got replacement rod, fell down. Tried said rod without curtain, fell down after a while. 

The tiles are old and a few are loose. Tried it on different tiles, still fell down. I am going to try it on the drywall. My last hope. I also ordered this stuff from Amazon called Sugue? Moldable glue of some type. Not sure of the name, too much tension affecting memory. If that doesn't work I'm ready to call Mr Handyman to nail in some closet rod brackets with flanges, another idea I read online. Yes I could do it myself but I want it done correctly and perfectly. That's my last hope. If that doesn't work I take a sledgehammer to it all😆

Anyone have any other ideas? This is really driving me crazy.

tumblr_inline_midv2tJXRr1qz4rgp_large.gif

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I think you might find more success once the rod is 'attached' to the wall rather than the tile.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

My experience with tension rods is that they are adjustable.  You just twist each section in opposite directions to either lengthen or shorten.  You can try a little at a time.  

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette I've done all that, still falling

Esteemed Contributor

Had to replace mine a few months ago. I'd had one for about a hundred years that came from Penny's, it was actually a green color, even the rubber caps on the ends matched the color. Anyhow, it came down on my head one morning getting out of the shower, the spring thingy in it had crapped out. Found one at target and installed it myself, however as like yours it kept falling down. I also have old tile. So finally I had one of my sons do the twisty thing to make it wider than I had it then squish it together while installing it. So far it has stayed up. I attribute it to the fact that with his way stronger arms he was able to squish it together at a longer length than I could for a tighter fit. Sounds like your attempting to do this on your own so I'm assuming you understand what I mean about the twisty/squish deal. In other words he twisted to a longer length and still had the strenth to push the end in so a tighter fit. He put one end against the tile, pushed then managed to get the other end fitted in. Bottom line, got anybody with strong arms that could give it a whirl for you with a good tight fit? And make sure the tile where the rod ends are going to be placed is nice and clean too, clean it good and make sure it's totally dry.

Honored Contributor

It's hard, but the tension rod has to be put onto the wall with a great deal of force so it doesn't fall or slide down the tile....  I will often put my entire weight into it and I'm not petite.  However, if your tiles are old and are moving a bit then I would suggest giving it even a little more tension.

The only time I've ever had a tension rod fall (or slide down) has been when I haven't adjusted the rod so it would be tight enough.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl Yes I am doing it myself. Last year I did and it stayed up until now. I know what you're talking about re putting it up.

Useless brothers and I don't need that stress anyway. I love doing these things myself, so that's why this ticks me off so much. Mr. Handyman is looking good, especially if he's good looking😃 Seriously it would be a good way to try them out, if good I would use them for other things I can't manage.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tension Rod-Aptly Named

[ Edited ]

I had trouble with a tension rod that wouldn't stay up so I got a set of holders for wooden rods that are used in closets, glued them to the tile and slipped the tension rod into them.  No more falling rod.   Like these:

20170703_152158.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Q4u I know what you're saying. The rod I installed last year didn't require that much. I figure it fell Friday just due to age. Plus humidity in the bathroom and house.

I also got a Moen stainless steel rod at Lowe's, they claim in has some sort of lock mechanism. Yeah suuuure....Haven't tried that rod yet.

Happy 4th of July to me, shower rod roulette.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Excellent idea!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*