Honored Contributor

Teen Boy's BR: Not a "Teenage Wasteland"

Ikea style, with multi-function "zones."

What do you think for a teen's room?

A teen room study area with a desk, work lamp, shelves, clipboard, clock, noticeboard and weekly planner on the wall

An angled room view with a desk and chair in the foreground and a day-bed in the background

An organized wall next to a desk with a shelving unit, a clipboard and a noticeboard

A desk with a work lamp and a curtain behind the desk that blocks out distractions

An animated GIF of a day-bed fully extending from sofa to bed

An aerial view of a teen room lounge area with a day-bed sofa, an easy chair and a bedside table

A solid pine storage unit with open shelves and closed drawers

Corner of a room with a mirror on a door clothes on shelves and a rail

Aerial view of a small teen bedroom with a day-bed, study area and storage

Respected Contributor

Re: Teen Boy's BR: Not a "Teenage Wasteland"

Honestly, I'm not trying to be difficult.  That said, this looks to me, particularly the last shot looking down into the room, more like a cell than a bedroom. I've seen better dorm rooms.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Decorated nicely, but too dark and depressing, which may not be a good thing for a teenage boy.

Valued Contributor

This is fine for a boy's room, hides the dirt and dust. But, where is the real stuff used in life? Laptop, gaming system, dirty laundry basket (since there's no clothes on floor) etc.

I would go two shades up in the wall color.

Honored Contributor

Looks like a dorm. Cold sterile and industrial. 

I see the appeal, but not in my house. I want a warm and welcoming look, even for a teen boy's room. We did my son's room in mission style oak, tans and creams with brown accents. Masculine, minimal (compared to my other decorating), yet warm and inclusive with the rest of the home decor. 

Trusted Contributor

I think it is perfectly suited for a teen boy!

Respected Contributor

I have actually never seen a teen boy's room look so neat unless their Mother was like "PICK UP YOUR ROOM... NOW!".

My son is actually a bit of a neat freak (like his Mother (used) to be...😊) especially when it comes to his desk, computer, movies and books - his prized processions. Boys and their toys, I suppose...

The paint color is kinda dark for such a small space, not helping with making it look any bigger.

I do like the arrangement of the furniture - breaking up the room into a couple areas.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Like every other person of various ages and either sex, personal aesthetics differ... Just as not all teen girls would welcome a pink and frilly bedroom, not all teen boys are alike and some, I'm sure, would not want to be relegated to this room, which is reminiscent of being sent to detention...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I like this for a teen boy. I could see my son in there loving it.

Honored Contributor

It's still very cluttered.