Valued Contributor

Talk to me about a Split King Adjustable bed

After Christmas I am thinking about purchasing a split king adjustable bed. My question is if this is two twins pushed together, how difficult is to make these beds? Do I have to seperate them each time I change the sheets to put the fitted sheets on? THe only reason I havent purchased one yet. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Junker2327

Respected Contributor

Re: Talk to me about a Split King Adjustable bed

We have an adjustable split king, they are two extra long twing mattresses basically.  You just have to purchase the special sheet set which are not hard to find.  They aren't any harder to make than a king mattress really.

Valued Contributor

I have this type of bed and I use two twin sheet sets and then use one king blanket

over them with a quilt on top. I suppose you could also use a twin blanket instead of one 

king. 

Respected Contributor

@Junker2327 wrote:

After Christmas I am thinking about purchasing a split king adjustable bed. My question is if this is two twins pushed together, how difficult is to make these beds? Do I have to seperate them each time I change the sheets to put the fitted sheets on? THe only reason I havent purchased one yet. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Junker2327

I have two split king adjustable beds in my home.  One for our master bedroom and we put one in the guest room we just remodeled.  The split mattresses are twin XL's.  My adjustable bed is higher than the one in the guest room, the mattresses are thicker.  For me, it does get more difficult to make my bed.  One, because the mattresses are taller/higher and secondly because you have to get that twin mattress bottom sheet on twice (to each split ).  I have to climb up on bed.  Granted, I'm 5'3" but I can see this becoming more difficult as I age.  The mattress and bed itself is lower in the guest room but it is still not as easy to put the bottom sheet on like a traditional bed.  I buy my sheets on Amazon.  Really nice sheets that wash well, no wrinkles and the ones I buy have 2 extra pillow cases.  The adjustable base we bought (and mattresses) for our bedroom was purchased at a furniture store.  The adjustable base for the guest bedroom we bought online at Costco.  

Regular Contributor

Our split king adjustable bed was one of our best home purchases.  We've had it for several years and love it.  Both QVC and Amazon have sheet set options, as well as a choice or two on Kohl's.  You do need to separate the mattresses to change sheets, but only an inch or two.  You can just slide them apart a bit on the frame.  You don't have to move the whole bed.  Our adjustable frame fits inside the bed frame we have, which has both a head and foot board.  It might be a little more work to change sheets than a traditional mattress, but for the comfort and flexibility, it's so worth it.  

Super Contributor

When putting the fitted sheets on I raise the head of the mattress up a lot and slide the top of the sheet on over the corners. Next I lower the head of the mattress all the way down and slip the bottom corners of the sheet over the bottom corners of the mattress. Repeat on the other side. Split king sheets sets have 2 twin XL bottom sheets and 1 king top sheet.
Honored Contributor

@Junker2327 

Sorry but I don't have time to read all the responses, just had to comment.  About 6 years ago, DH convinced me that we needed one and we spent roughly $5000 on the best he could find.  He has MAJOR back and neck injuries, so I was willing to do anything that could help him.

The beds are supremely comfortable, but caused several issues. We finally resorted to putting them in our guest room.  You can make the bed with a king fitted sheet, but that limits how much either side can adust up or down.  You can make the bed with twin XL fitted sheets and one king flat sheet on top, which is what we did.  Still, you need to separate the beds whenever you change sheets. If one person needs the legs or head up or down it makes it very awkward for the person sleeping next to them.

Honestly, in my opinion, if you are looking for customized comfort, just keep them separate with a nightstand between them.  I haven't had a good night's sleep since menopause and anything that could make me more comfortable is agreeable to me.  DH however, didn't go for the Lucy and Ricky set up, lol.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@Junker2327 , I have a Queen adjustable bed which I love.  I make my bed the way @teachergal  does.  I raise the head to put on the fitted sheet which makes it easy.  I don't understand why one would put a king fitted sheet on a split adjustable bed.  You would not be able to independently raise or lower the mattress.  LM

Frequent Contributor

I absolutely HATE changing the sheets on my split king bed. Like others, we bought an expensive one to help with back issues my husband had. He rarely used it but we do keep the head slightly elevated. If you adjust it for reading etc in bed it moves the sheets and the way the bed fits on the frame. You have to push the mattress back up towards the head when you move the bed back to sleeping position. But, what I hate most is changing the sheets. It is impossible to get the individual twin sheets tight in each mattress without climbing on the mattress and pushing each one apart. Mine is a temperpedic mattress and it is heavy. I am usually sweating after I change the sheets. 

If you are buying the air matress type that is lighter I am sure it is much easier. I can't wait to get rid of mine, but it was so darn expensive that isn't happening anytime soon.