Esteemed Contributor

@SoX - My walls are beige/light taupe, too. When I bought my house, I thought I'd be painting right away to liven things up a bit, but because my furniture and accessories have so much color and personality, the neutral color has worked well.

Respected Contributor

I visited a home that had a red wall in the dining room.  The other 3 walls had a coordinating wallpaper.  I loved that room.  The first thing I saw was the red wall and it really struck me.  What a great room that was.

Respected Contributor

Well, I guess I'm "old-fashioned".  I love carpeting and have it everywhere except the kitchen (hardwood) and bathrooms (tile).  I used to have carpet even in the kitchen and baths.  So, I guess I'm a little up to date.

I still love my wallpaper and I love florals.  Guess it depends on what style we like.  I do not want to me would be  "blah".  I have floral or striped furniture mixed with plain and that is what I like and always will.  Sure don't want greyish walls.  Sounds cold to me.

Custom drapes - In the past 5 years, I did get rid of all my custom drapes and went to easy care - still would be considered fussy by some as they are some are now lace, but that is me.  It was hard to do because I loved my custom drapes.  They were perfect for my house, but the cost and hassel of dry cleaning getting them down and to the dry cleaners and re-hanging became too much and it was time for replace with new.

I do have dark cherry cabinets in my kitchen (which I also love) but if I were to re-do my kitchen again I would go with white cabinets and some glass fronts.

Honored Contributor

There were only a few rooms I didn't care for.  I don't follow trends, I follow my taste and style not what others like or dislike.  I live in the house and I have to be comfortable and happy, therefore I decorate accordingly and it works fine. I do make changes now and then of course, but they are my changes.  

Whatever makes you happy and comfy, enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I don't care for all that dark wood on the walls and I don't like interior walls painted red or bright colors. I don't care for wall to wall carpeting. Of course my place has hard wood floors and the interior walls are painted white. I don't follow trends either.

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness I don't have ANY of these decorating atrocities in my home! When we moved into our newly built cottage, 4 years ago, we got rid of all of our old things and bought all new. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I have none of those things.  However, I agree with the poster who said it was good to see the article featured GOOD examples of those things, rather than making them look hideous.

Homes are very personal; if you like those features, you should keep them!

Trusted Contributor

@ID2 Wrote:  

Thank goodness I don't have ANY of these decorating atrocities in my home! When we moved into our newly built cottage, 4 years ago, we got rid of all of our old things and bought all new. Heart

Decorating atrocities.....really????    Some of the rooms are rather lovely and far from "decorating atrocities"! 

Sometimes old is better than new!   Like they say....they don't make things like they used to!

Honored Contributor

I don't have any of those things.  I know people who do and they're happy with it.

Esteemed Contributor

Forget that I failed a third one!!

I have carpeting in the living room, stairway, hallways (each floor) and all bedrooms. And carpeting will remain in those rooms as long as I'm in this home. Our winters are too cold for hardwood floors with my diabetic feet.

Carpeting is another thing the next homeowner can change if they want to . . . or not! It is also in ivory to match the walls and in great condition. No pets; no smoking; just me.   

Money screams; wealth whispers.