Honored Contributor

Wowza the prices of lamp shades has gone through the roof.  You can get and lamp with the shade for the price of 1 shade.  What the heck?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

Re: Table lamps & shades!!!!

iF YOU have an online Marketplace in your area (basically on online garage sale+ you can get fantastic prices. I bought two super heavy really pretty floor lamps with glass tops for 35.00 for both just yesterday. I had been looking on line and the prices for a heavy solid light was in the 100's so I decided to look online and I bought them and have them in under an hr...I love them and they are gorgeous! Thrift stores are also a good place to look....Just some ideas if you don't mind 2 nd hand, Happy shopping

Honored Contributor

There are many different qualities in lampshades, everything from silk to cardboard.  They aren't all expensive.  Buy what you can afford. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@LillyandHobo .........they are for our trailer that is on a lake.  I am going to do yard sales, Goodwill and watch local ads, and auctions to furnish it.  The lamps are ok but the shades were filthy.  Looking forward to bargain hunting.  Thanks for your advise.

Im still in sticker shock over the price of lamp shades.

Honored Contributor

Ross......or other discount stores that sell household and decorating items

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The lamps are oversized and take a large shade.  So I am going to bargain hunt.  Im in shock over the prices of shades.

@Kachina624 

Super Contributor

I agree. I looked all over first so I had a really good idea of prices and honesyly I redecorate a lot and didn't want to invest 100's of dollars per lamp. I found ones that were expensive and gorgeous. !!!! Good luck I love to bargaib=n hunt! And when you score a good find it makkes you feel really good about your purchase! 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie - Try Wayfair - they have a huge selection of both. 

ETA: Try lampsplus dot com.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie : I'm with you. A good quality replacement lamp shade is hard to find AND expensive!

I find many wonderful lamps at thrift and consignment shops. While they always work well and are very reasonably priced, they most often have no shade or the shade is damaged, dirty or the wrong size and needs to be replaced.

I inherited a pair of beautiful, tall crystal lamps years ago. They require large shades of equal quality to the bases. I last replaced them almost 3 years ago when I moved. At that time I paid $95.00 each.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

There are many different qualities in lampshades, everything from silk to cardboard.  They aren't all expensive.  Buy what you can afford. 

@Kachina624 

I bought a gorgeous silk lamp shade with an unique shape and cording on it for a specific table, in my bedroom, just as I enter the area to the bath, so I did not need the big light or the big lamp on at night.  I thought this perfect.  The shade is black, used a small wattage bulb.  Black shade so not much light reflection, gold cording and had the most unusal shape.  It was very pricy.  The lining is now threadbare and hanging down.  I guess the lining was not as high quality as the shade. Why did they not tell me?  Now I have a $250 piece of frame for a lamp shade.