Honored Contributor

Table Desks are Wasted Space

One is featured in the New Build Post.  You see them frequently on Love It or List it.  Just what is the point?  No drawers for anything, meaning this is not a serious work surface. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Table Desks are Wasted Space

Disagree with that statement. I have a beautiful piece of furniture that happens to be a desk. I use the top for decorative items. I do have a chair for the desk to complete the look. In another room I have a desk that I use as a desk, no drawers. Why do you need drawers with a desk. Never bothered me not having drawers. I like the sleek look of a desk without drawers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actually, my own view is that they are a serious work surface but what they are not is a serious storage piece. Unlike a desk with drawers, the usual office accoutrement need to be stored elsewhere. I like the notion of a table desk in a more public room and a more functional piece elsewhere. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Most of my desks through the years, and the one I am presently using, is a table desk. They are the best kind in my opinion. I do have a more formal desk with drawers that I almost never use. 

Honored Contributor

I started using a table desk the year I entered kindergarten and used one very seriously for just over 60 years.  All of mine had minimum storage space, but once that need arose, there were always file cabinets.   

At this point  in my life, I have begun to consider quite seriously whether to replace my seldom used dining table for a desk or a game table.   

Honored Contributor

Personally, I love a table desk.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My table desk, sometimes called a writing desk, is similar to the photo below except it doesn't have flame inlays, carving around the drawers, and it's darker mahogany.  

It's 60 x 30 inches.  It works very well for me.  

Image 6 - Maitland Smith Georgian Style Carved Mahogany Leather Top Desk

Esteemed Contributor

I think it depends on what kind of job you have and/or what you use your desk for.

Prior to retiring this past spring, I had a desk w/ long countertop, supported by file cabinets and drawers. I've had it for decades and it was functional and served it's purpose. Eventually everything at work became electronic files and there was no need for hard copies of most things, unless you wanted to print something off. The drawers and file cabinets then became superfuous.

Now as a retired person, I basically just need storage for important papers (they're kept in fire proof safe) and back up supplies that I will probably never need are kept in a closet I use for storing stuff I don't use all the time. Now my desk is just used for my laptop and large screen.

I anticipate converting my home office desk area to a room I can do yoga in w/o having to move stuff around in our exercise room (spouse's domain). 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee thank you! I'm looking for a 60" writing desk.

Large enough for my wotk computer and monitors. Most everything I work on is digital so I don't use my printer, paper and peripherals very often. A single drawer is enough for me.

I'd like to repurpose it as a sewing table one day.

Honored Contributor

@depglass   A table desk is only good for writing checks to pay bills.  I have a regular desk on the smaller side but it has two drawers right under the top.

kindness is strength