Honored Contributor

marshall_watson_HB_08-07-15_0656b.jpg

This house in Sweden is designed by Marshall Watson, and it is quite dreamy, in my opinion.  I love the "old-school" Scandinavian houses of the past, which tend to use more color than modern Scandinavian design, and just seem more comfortable, exuding a cheerful charm.  Wish they had shown the exterior.  The inside makes me think it is one of those old Swedish country manors...

marshall_watson_HB_07-07-15__0012avase-rtch.jpg

This is my color palette-- love!

marshall_watson_HB_07-07-15_0310a.jpg

Love that settee, and the "homey" plate rack around the corner.

marshall_watson_HB_07-07-15_0148.jpg

I keep saying "love", ha. But love all the painted Swedish antiques, mixed in with dark woods of all kinds.   It looks joyous and unpretentious....

marshall_watson_HB_07-07-15_0457a.jpg

Windows on three sides, and pretty pistachio walls keep the outdoors front and center.

marshall_watson_HB_07-07-15_0364a.jpg

marshall_watson_09-07-15__0019a.jpg

Intricate details.  Love the little candlestand tray that pulls out from the table.  They seem to have an eye for pretty glass. 

marshall_watson_09-07-15_0259.jpg

More glass, stunning vintage brass pendant light and enviable grandmother clock.

marshall_watson_09-07-15__0056.jpg

Some of the great joys of Scandinavian and Finnish design, are the old painted chests...

marshall_watson_10-07-15_0713b.jpg

More great carving and pretty glass.

marshall_watson_09-07-15_0094-1.jpg

marshall_watson_09-07-15_0206-1.jpg

Thinking this is the master bedroom, with that dramatic vaulted ceiling.

marshall_watson_HB_08-07-15_0817a.jpg

What a great spot in the bedroom for a desk to work at, and daydream while gazing outward....

portfolio54-2016110962811.jpg

I always get a sense of immediately feeling at home, and sympatico, with these airy old Scandinavian interiors.  They have such a fairy tale feeling, don't they? 

A really good intro to them in book form, by the way, is JoAnn Barwick and Norma Skurka's "Scandinavian Country".  Stunning photography.   My book is very very well-worn!  They even show "Rungstedlund",  the well-preserved, magical childhood home of Isak Dinesen (Baroness Blixen),  that she returned to after her sojourn in Kenya...

Valued Contributor

Re: TRADITIONAL SWEDISH HOUSE

This house is absolutely lovey and oh so inviting.   I like everything about it.

In some frames, reminds me of colonial Williamsburg styling.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of a lot of the furniture, but I think the house itself is lovely.  I could happily live there.

Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful! The glassware is so pretty and not overdone in any of the rooms. I wonder what the age is of this home?

Valued Contributor

I almost did not look at these pictures, as I find most Swedish styles are very sparce and cold looking. Not homes I would feel comfortable in, especially during cold winter months. But, this selection of rooms are beautiful in my thinking. Anyway for me.

Esteemed Contributor

What a lovely place to live - so beautiful and peaceful - like a fairy tale!

Honored Contributor

This is lovely @Oznell. I love virtually every room and every element. Scandianvian country is a favorite of mine too, though it can sometimes be a bit chilly. I recall Barwick was editor for many years of House Beautiful. Perhaps I'll check out her book or see if there's one available from Mr. Watson.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  I love this house and could move right in.  I forget what the clock is called, but I have always wantd one.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

You always find the prettiest houses ! I love the red and green sitting room and that green dining room makes me happy!

Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful and I love the pale blue color.  It is so light and airy, I never would have thought it was in Sweden.