Respected Contributor

Re: TIMOTHY WHEALON'S ONE BEDROOM NYC APARTMENT

Like the dining room.

I can actually see me doing something similar to this.

(OK, that tall narrow chair in the bedroom needs to really go though.

As does that green rug in the other bedroom.)

Nice through out - kept light n bright.

Like that there is not an over abundance of things too.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Yes, it's beautifully decorated and I absolutely love that patio.  That made my heart go pity pat.  The apartment itself seems small, even for a NYC apartment.  I've always day dreamed about living like that  in a fashionable upscale part of Boston; where I would not need a car and could walk to Prudential Center and Newbury St to shop and people watch.

Honored Contributor

Whenever I look at pictures of homes and its furnishings and decor, I always think of what I would have in the rooms since I have my own taste.  I do like this apartment , it is lovely and welcoming.  However, as I said I would change a few things, not many because for the most part it is very appealing and comfortable.

Honored Contributor

The apartment is tastefully decorated.  It is interesting how he likes to add the color green to a room.  I absolutely LOVE his terrace.  That looks like a very expensive property.  Cat Very Happy  I like the pretty dog too!

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

Yeah, we can dream.  I live in NYC, take off 99.8% and you'll have my rent-stabilized Spanish Harlem apartment, LOL!  The FDNY won't let me use the fire escape as a terrace, but again,  I can dream.  That apartment is probably a little smaller than the expert decorating made it look, but it is still sizable for a 1-bedroom Manhattan apartment.  The terrace and the key to the park are a big part of its value, and IMO the ceilings were higher than normal.    

Seriously, someone with design talent could make my place look cute and if they had a little money, could work miracles.  I don't have any of those things, and prefer to spend the little $$ I have on stuff other than decorating, but when you see something like this, it does make you wonder what it could be like.  OP, thanks for the link.

Honored Contributor

@Maloyo,  I can only imagine the cost of a place like his, ha. And I do understand putting your priorities elsewhere-- that's often necessary.  But I've seen what you New Yorkers can do even with the necessarily limited square footage that most people there have, and I'm impressed.  Limitations do tend to spur creativity!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell Indeed, urban apartment dwellers have to be very creative and organized about storage.  

I was helping a friend get ready for a small dinner party and she asked me if I could pull out her stored serving platters--one was particularly large.  I told her sure thing--she had them carefully stacked (cushioned) under the banquette seating along one wall in her dining room.

Of course we had to wash them before using them!  While she lived there we always had great fun getting ready for her to entertain.  

Honored Contributor

Love these rooms..I honestly wouldn't change a thing. 

Honored Contributor

Great story, @aroc3435 -- your friend was ingenious! 

Esteemed Contributor

Most of it is not my style but it is still done very well.  I LOVE the terrace.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown