Honored Contributor

The type of "stone veneer" that is cement that has been moulded and colored to look like stone--  is a look that seems to have gotten better and better.

Do you like the look?

I'm partial to the old dry stone (or dry stack?) appearance, where there's no look of mortar in-between.

image-3-980x621.jpeg

MG_1629_Ledgestone_CanyonRidge.jpg

A garage only.

inspiration-garages-oldeworld-harborbluff.jpg

A mortared look up close:

GalaxyGlitterDimensional-15-copy-e1518813265382.jpg

In a bathroom.

inspiration-interiors-ledgestone-canyonridge.jpg

What a darling porch.  To me, really ups the warmth factor.

inspiration-homeexteriors-19thcentury-harborbluff-1080x675.jpg

In this application, the whole package of stone and landscaping gives such a California feeling...

AmberInteriors_homepage_blog-1080x675.jpg

They can do great things with cement!  Then, they have actual natural "thin stone veneer", thin slices of stone which were actually quarried,  which I would imagine is more expensive:

Slider-Mobile-Thin-Stone-Veneer-Coy-2.jpg

rockford-estate-blend-estate-veneer-series-products-polycor-hardscapes-and-masonry-1-3.jpg

LOVE this wall!rolling-rock-natural-thin-stone-berwick-1170x560.jpg

rolling-rock-ostv-russet-brown-natural-thin-stone-1170x560.jpg

Rustic-Ranch-Stone-Veneer.jpg

rolling-rock-natural-thin-stone-ostv-andover-1170x560.jpg

If you have any, either interior or exterior, or simply like it or don't, hope you'll share your thoughts.   Personally, I'm always susceptible to a baronial look.

Honored Contributor

I like all those looks especially on the exterior and around the fireplace.

Honored Contributor

I love this type of stone.  My son has this on his house which is similar to the house with the red door. It looks like his porch except his door is black.

Here in Pennsylvania that type of stone is very popular inside and outside of homes.

Super Contributor

Re: THE LOOK OF STONE

[ Edited ]

@Oznell @I always enjoy your posts! I am planning to redo the front of my house in stone & would appreciate your sharing with me the sources of the photos. The second to the last is very appealing. The front of my house faces west & I think the colors of the stone would change in appearance at the different times of the day. I think the gold color would sparkle in the late afternoon. Very exciting

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

The exterior walls of my parents first house I lived in were made of real stone.  It was reasonably priced then.  

Quite a few of the older houses, those from the 17th and early 18th centuries in that area were made from real stone, common for Germans to build their houses and barns from stone.

Not liking the unmortared look, though.  Give me real stone mortared in place.  

Honored Contributor

Freezing temps could be a problem for stones w/o mortar on the exteriors. Melting/freezing ice can go into the spaces and cause fractures and then that could cause some stability issues. I would rather have mortar applied between the stones to keep them stable.

Honored Contributor

not a fan of the look

Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE LOOK OF STONE

[ Edited ]

It's a very popular look for homes in Arizona. A few years ago I wanted to do this to our house but several neighbors beat me to the punch and we decided we did not want to copy them. 

Honored Contributor

Love the stone. IMO it looks better then brick. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Oznell .........Once again, great post.  My DH and I both love stone, especially as you referred to, the dry stack.  Creates beautiful retaining walls in gardens. Cat Very Happy