Honored Contributor

THE FLYLADY'S HOUSEKEEPING SYSTEM

This is like an add-on to all the decluttering discussions that are so enjoyable on the board.

I know lots of you have practised various aspects of the "Flylady" system for getting control of the house-- not just housekeeping, but eliminating clutter.  As she says, "You can't clean clutter"!  (And I say this as one who has to have at least some "intentional" bric a brac, always.) 

It would be fun to know what others think.  My favorite part of her "baby steps" is the very first one, where she advocates "shining your sink" and then keeping it up.  The method of boiling water to the rim (I've used SOME boiling water, and the rest hot tap water),  add a cup of bleach, sit for an hour, then drain, sprinkle with baking soda, then spray with a solution of plain vinegar and water, gave an absolute glow to my ancient stainless sink. For some reason, it works better than all my other methods.

It's got to be about 50 years old, but wow.  Ending by polishing on a drop or two of olive oil is something I've always done.  Then, you just need "maintenance" between shinings.

There are two flylady bloggers who are fun and inspiring.   Here's "Diane in Denmark", doing the whole sink routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztCaANY5aBA

And here's "The Secret Slob",  starting her kitchen decluttering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQytCW61fy8

They're just fun, low-key and inspiring to watch, tackling the idea of streamlined household routines and decluttering.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FLYLADY'S HOUSEKEEPING SYSTEM

Is that solely for stainless steel sinks? Mine is porcelain and I use Bar Keepers Friend.
Honored Contributor

That's such a good question, @AuntG--  I had wondered the same thing.  As far as I know, the Flylady method applies only to stainless steel sinks.  It sounds like you are doing the right thing for your porcelain sink.  (Lucky you, to have one!)  The thing the experts always seem to harp on with porcelain, is, don't use an abrasive, gritty, scouring cleaner, so you won't etch the lovely smooth surface.

The Flylady thing with stainless is partly symbolic, I think. Her point is, if you've gotten discouraged by your kitchen, or your house in general, take simple baby steps to get "instant gratification".   Getting and keeping the stainless sink to a high shine, one you can see yourself in, is a bit of a morale booster, and it inspires other positive changes in house cleaning and decluttering.  At least, that's the theory.

Honored Contributor

@OznellThanks for the Flylady reminder-  haven't thought about her system for years.  I also liked her clean sink every night advice, and maybe more I liked walking through the house with a large garbage bad and removing clutter.  There was something about that whole procedure and the counting that encouraged me to think quickly.  Never missed a single item I put into those black bags; besides, I learned keeping up with the clutter is easier than living with it.

Honored Contributor

I love hearing that, @millieshops!  I think there's something about her approach, that while it may not work for everyone, is just the ticket for some.  I know a lot of it "clicks" for me.  And a refresher never hurts...

Trusted Contributor

I was big into her system back in 2002-2003. It actually works pretty good.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I haven't looked at her 'system' for quite some time. 

I can say, that the Bio Cleaner paste they sell here is great for the stainless steel sink. Makes them look better than new, and I don't know what I'd do without it!

The thing is, a lot of these declutter/organizing/reducing 'gurus'  assume too much. They don't take into account that some people's reality and schedules don't apply to or allow one to do things they way they present them. 

I'd love to go to bed with a clean sink. And I can do it, but when I wake up, its full of dirty dishes again. Husband comes home from work in the middle of the night, empties his lunchbox (and we have no dishwasher nor do I expect him to do them after a ten hour night shift). So I have to adjust my way of thinking, as I love to get up to a perfect kitchen. Instead, I look at those dishes, that hit the sink just hours after I went to bed with the 'perfect' kitchen cleaned up, and know we are lucky to have plenty of food to eat, and he has a good job to bring those dirty dishes home from! 

And that 'you can't clean clutter' thing. Um...I think I mastered doing just that! LOL

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio   Yes, the theories presented by some of the "gurus" irritate me as well.  Of course, to each his or her own but I think the minimalist thing has gone a little too far.

And you are correct about the disconnect from reality--your "dishes in the sink" is a perfect example.

My decision is to do the best I can, pick and choose which ideas I implement and not worry about what others might think about my home or decorating style.

Between the planned obsolesence of so many things we buy--like appliances as one example, and the "pitch everything out and start over" instructions that are foisted on us I wonder sometimes if some of these trends are contrivances so we are forced to keep consuming and spending.

Anyway, these are my thoughts of the moment.

Respected Contributor

I have recommended FlyLady to several people over the years.  Her system is not perfect, but she has good practices, e.g., decluttering in 15 minute spates.  I once subscribed to her Email notices, reminders, etc; however, it didn't take long to realize how cluttered my InBox was getting from her barrages.   

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank goodness for my new granite composite sink! Low maintenance, easy to clean matte finish.

I start the day by making my bed, which many recommend. I do it so that my dog will not immediately cozy up to my clean, warm bedding!