Respected Contributor

Re: THE FLYLADY'S HOUSEKEEPING SYSTEM

Not familiar with flylady but will check it out. I find your recommendations of videos and of course movies to be excellent.

Thanks

@Oznell wrote:

Yeah, I think "pick and choose" is a great way to approach the cleaning or simplifying systems that appeal to us.  So far I've found a number of things I want to incorporate, but not all.

I don't subscribe to any sites, or get emails.  That would bug me!  I just like the how-to videos I found, not from the original Flylady, but from people who liked or adapted her methods.

It might have been the Secret Slob, or someone else, who recommended 6 or 7 routines for every early morning--  sink routine, fill and run the dishwasher, run a load of laundry, wipe down all surfaces in kitchen, all surfaces in bathroom (including toilets) and several others.  Of course, that's the stuff I randomly do off and on throughout the day, but making a routine of certain things like that first thing in the morning, is calming and makes an orderly start to all the other stuff I have to do.

I think approaches like this work well for what I think of as my flibberty gibbet personality.  More iron-clad "natural organizers" probably don't find these things as useful!

Honored Contributor

I have my own OKIE-Lady system.  I developed this about 10 years ago and it really does work!

OKIE-Lady System 5:  When you get up from your desk or vanity, put away 5 things.  When you leave a room, pick up 5 things and put them up. 

Discard 5 magazines.  Hang up or store 5 things when you go in your closet.  Pull 5 weeds going to the mailbox.  

And so on.  It works, it really does.  You will be amazed!  And pretty soon you do that automatically. 

I noticed that rarely do I get out more than 5 things at a time.  So I put them back.  Now I automatically scan for those 5 things!  It seemed that 3 didn't do much, but 5 did!  If you go for more than 5 it takes too long.

So HIGH 5 and see if it works for you!

Honored Contributor

I love it, creative @Sooner!  I think the key is, in either adapting from others or working out your own system, finding the one that works with your personality.  Kudos for finding something that works!

Respected Contributor

I work a 12 hour day, and am in my office by 4:45AM every morning,  so my routine is... clean as you go.  I clean throughout the week.  I HATE clutter and don't have a lot out.  My biggest problem is keeping up with the MAIL !  My husband retired 2 years ago, and has always been a huge help with housework, but now more than ever.  He vacuums, does laundry, shopping, etc., so that helps me enormously. 

I think we all have our own level of tolerance for what we can live with and what makes us happy.  Some people actually feel comfort living with clutter and lots of things that they've picked up from travels, etc.  For some a strict routine work and for others it's how much you can do when you have the time ...   or make the time.

I definitely need to rid myself of too many clothes, and that is my mission this year.  I've already donated A LOT.

Make your home a place that makes you happy....  and allows you to escape from our crazy world.

Love the post ... thanks @Oznell .

Honored Contributor

I, too, was one who got tired of the constant email clutter from FlyLady.  Worse than my own "decorative" clutter around my home!  

As to the sink cleaning/shining with boiling and/or very hot water, I would be afraid to try it with my stainless steel sink.  It came with instructions to never place hot pans into it due to expansion/contraction of the steel.  So it's not clear to me that boiling water would be good for the steel or may even overstress some of the joints.

I've also read that pouring boiling water into a porcelain sink may cause cracks.  

This method just doesn't seem like something I'd want to risk.

I'm glad it worked for some.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

One of your parting lines, @nyc1 --  "Make your home a place that makes you happy".   Yes!  That encapsulates it all, perfectly.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach, it's very good that you inserted a word of caution.  Hubby said something similar, when I told him of my exploits!  He said, you know, some of our piping may not like boiling water!

Luckily, instead of putting boiling water in the sink up to the rim, I used mostly hot tap water with a little boiling water mixed in.  Hubs relaxed when I told him that, and thought it would be OK.

But as always, with any hot water,  you must be careful from a safety standpoint.  The water is supposed to sit for an hour, after which it's cool enough presumably, so you can insert your rubber-gloved hand to remove the stopper, which I did.  I understand the flylady is even more cautious, and says remove the stopper with tongs.  But that seemed far-fetched for klutzy me, and I tested the water and it was fine to stick my hand in.

Always good to get different perspectives on methods, thanks.

Trusted Contributor

One of the “Sidetracked Sisters” suggestions that I have liked is a “Clearing” exercise. You go around each room and write down the things that need done or that bug you.  Maybe something that needs replaced or cleaned or even getting rid of something you don’t like.

I find it helpful with the items you see to get rid of just to do it right then, rather than waiting for the list to be complete - don’t wait!  (Exception would be if too high or large.)  

That has been so helpful for me; as I have mentioned in the purge thread, I used to wait until ready to do the entire shelf or cupboard but, getting rid of things as I see them, it still gets some items out, even when I don’t have time or energy do the entire task. 

Honored Contributor

I like that @trenet!  I'm so tired of my typical "dithering".

Respected Contributor

@trenet wrote:

One of the “Sidetracked Sisters” suggestions that I have liked is a “Clearing” exercise. You go around each room and write down the things that need done or that bug you.  Maybe something that needs replaced or cleaned or even getting rid of something you don’t like.

I find it helpful with the items you see to get rid of just to do it right then, rather than waiting for the list to be complete - don’t wait!  (Exception would be if too high or large.)  

That has been so helpful for me; as I have mentioned in the purge thread, I used to wait until ready to do the entire shelf or cupboard but, getting rid of things as I see them, it still gets some items out, even when I don’t have time or energy do the entire task. 

@trenet I loved them! They had a great sense of humor. 🙂