Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: THE FLYLADY'S HOUSEKEEPING SYSTEM

@queendiva   I like my (Blanco) composite granite sink, too.  It was one of the best choices we made when we upgraded the kitchen.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I followed FlyLady several years ago.  A lot of good ideas, but I got tired of all the e-mails.   I was wondering if that website was still around, so guess it is.   I was going through my closet(s) this week and was thinking "you can't organize clutter."  I don't have a lot of  extra decor out, but I do have too many cosmetics and a lot of clothing.  Have 2 boxes to donate this week.  Many items from QVC that never were a good fit (too baggy).   Keeping everything that fits, but some  I know I will hardly wear since my lifestyle has changed and I seldom go to anything where people dress-up.  

Trusted Contributor

Wasn’t FlyLady a spin-off of the Sidetracked Sisters aka the Slob Sisters?  (Pam Young & Peggy Jones)  They had the 3x5 cards with all the household jobs. 

I tried them for awhile but, gradually fizzled out.  The reminders were good and I didn’t have to make a new list everyday or every week but, scheduling and following through with the doing wasn’t exactly my forte!

(It was also difficult for things like laundry - apartment laundry, no reservations taken!).

Lately, I’ve been trying a project book.  I’m still working out the kinks but, so far it seems better - especially for the bigger sort & purge projects.  

With my old chemo-brain, I need the reminders! I list the projects, ideas I think of to help me achieve them; list items to buy for help in storage or replacement items,  repairs; also honey-do’s and just ordinary tasks I need/want to do. 

I also like checking off completed items; with so much to do, it is easy to get discouraged so, seeing what all I do get finished can be a morale booster. 

Thanks @Oznell for posting the sink technique, I’ll have to try it.  My old apartment sink sure needs something!  

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I have recommended FlyLady to several people over the years.  Her system is not perfect, but she has good practices, e.g., decluttering in 15 minute spates.  I once subscribed to her Email notices, reminders, etc; however, it didn't take long to realize how cluttered my InBox was getting from her barrages.   

I understand what you mean by the constant barrage of emails from that site.    As much as I enjoy and believe that her system really works, I couldn't handle all the mail that I kept receiving.  

Fortunately, the emails finally stopped just as I was getting ready to unsubscribe.  

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I think "pick and choose" is a great way to approach the cleaning or simplifying systems that appeal to us.  So far I've found a number of things I want to incorporate, but not all.

I don't subscribe to any sites, or get emails.  That would bug me!  I just like the how-to videos I found, not from the original Flylady, but from people who liked or adapted her methods.

It might have been the Secret Slob, or someone else, who recommended 6 or 7 routines for every early morning--  sink routine, fill and run the dishwasher, run a load of laundry, wipe down all surfaces in kitchen, all surfaces in bathroom (including toilets) and several others.  Of course, that's the stuff I randomly do off and on throughout the day, but making a routine of certain things like that first thing in the morning, is calming and makes an orderly start to all the other stuff I have to do.

I think approaches like this work well for what I think of as my flibberty gibbet personality.  More iron-clad "natural organizers" probably don't find these things as useful!

Respected Contributor

Years ago, I tried the Flylady's approach. I think she makes a lot of sense, but I sure got tired of her sending me a zillion emails every day.

I got rid of that clutter, at least.

Honored Contributor

I like this "sink shining" video a bit better than the earlier one I linked to.  This woman follows the flylady method (leaving the hot water for a full hour, putting bleach in, using a tooth brush on the faucet, etc.) more closely than Diane in Denmark.

Unlike me, she used Windex instead of baking soda and vinegar solution.  So satisfying to see that glowing, polished metal at the end!  The final buffing with a dry towel really helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG-0e5j8umk

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Years ago, I tried the Flylady's approach. I think she makes a lot of sense, but I sure got tired of her sending me a zillion emails every day.

I did too. And because of work, I used to print out a lot of her e-mails. I had a folder full of them. I spent most of my extra time catching up with them. 

I did use some of her ideas every day. The last time I participated was when I e-mailed her a question that was very heartfelt to me. I really wanted her expertise on it. I never heard anything back - from her or any of the people who worked with her. 

I also tried the "sidetracked sisters" method that was going around our neighborhood when I was newly married. It drove me crazy! Flipping those cards made me feel like I was NEVER done with anything. So I gave up! I just did things on my own time when I want to - and that's what I do today!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I keep remembering things not in each "sink" video!  In that latest video, she uses an old tooth brush, but not dental floss.  Another "sink shining" video DID uses dental floss, in those extremely hard to get at crevices around the faucet, etc., and it looked very effective.

No matter what video, the end result sinks never look as good on camera, as they do in real life.  So I encourage anyone who wants to "start again" with a super clean, shiny sink to carefully follow the full, hot-water-to-the-brim-cup-of bleach-hour-soak-flylady method.  Have a feeling that's what makes the difference.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Mominohio   Yes, the theories presented by some of the "gurus" irritate me as well.  Of course, to each his or her own but I think the minimalist thing has gone a little too far.

And you are correct about the disconnect from reality--your "dishes in the sink" is a perfect example.

My decision is to do the best I can, pick and choose which ideas I implement and not worry about what others might think about my home or decorating style.

Between the planned obsolesence of so many things we buy--like appliances as one example, and the "pitch everything out and start over" instructions that are foisted on us I wonder sometimes if some of these trends are contrivances so we are forced to keep consuming and spending.

Anyway, these are my thoughts of the moment.

@aroc3435 

Boy have you hit the nail on the head! You are so right on both accounts, the planned obsolescence of goods today, and the whole minimalist move are ways to get us to keep consuming. 

If we aren't consuming the stuff, we are consuming books, videos, and organizational equipment to scale back on the stuff. 

Quite a racket, I'd say! LOL