Honored Contributor

Re: THE COTTAGE YOU'D EXPECT WINSTON CHURCHILL'S GREAT-GRANDDAUGHTER TO HAVE

That's very incisive of you, @Sooner --   I agree.

I also meant to comment on your observation about the illusion of peering through the pattern or vines or lattice or whatever of a patterned paper, and the illusion it gives of seeing into the distance...  That's so true!  Good 'trick of the eye' to remember!

Honored Contributor

I like the exterior & some of the interior architectural details. I like a few individual pieces of her furnishings & accessories. I'm not really a fan of all the prints. I definitely noticed her cute dogs. 😉

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

The garden seems lovely. The house structure is charming. Inside is clearly decorated to fit her personal choices and preferences. I didn't find much that was impressive, though I did like a few of her patterns.

I felt exactly the same way!  Loved the garden and the cottage is charming from outdoors but way too much stuff for my personal taste.  The rooms are too cluttered to feel comfortable to me.

I aslo thought that it was interesting she doesn't own the cottage but rents it.  Seems like a lot of work and money with all of the custom treatments for a rental.

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac   I appreciate what you said.  I decorate my home also the same way.  I've always said my style is like the English.  For me everything should be comfortable and not like some decorator just came in and renovated.  Her home is comfortable and welcoming and I love the land.

Respected Contributor

I think if I were there I would not want to leave.  It has an enveloping feel.  I would not want to be the one to dust and vacuum, it must need much upkeep on that but still, I see why she loves it so much.

It would be so much fun to investigate all the fine details.  Loved the drapery fine work -- you don't see that just anywhere.  I wonder what she does with all of her fabrics, she definitely has a good eye.

Honored Contributor

If she's happy, that's all that matters.  I'm afraid to ask what her terrible loss was.....?

The house and grounds are beautiful.  I would want it light, white and airy myself.  Still have the family gems (oh geez, imagine having to bid on your own grandmother's settee!), though on display.

I loved the wallpaper in the tiny room, hated the curtains *that started it all*, the red and white striped....ugh!

I spent the morning hours looking at wallpaper online (some cost thousands of dollars a roll!) as I think wallpaper would do our tiny MB justice.  It just dawned on me overnight to think *wallpaper*.

This thread has really pushed that thought.  I've never had wallpaper before!

Esteemed Contributor

It's charming. 

Honored Contributor

I do like the outside grounds and the house itself. It looks very dark in there to me. I am not a fan of the decor but it works for her and she obviously loves it. 

I think I would like it a lot more if about 50% of everything inside was removed and light could shine in...it is suffocating as is to me.