Honored Contributor

THE ANN AND GORDON GETTY AUCTION

ver120116getty03-1600179498.png

Wow, not that I keep up with the latest billionaire mad whirl of activities, but just noticed that late philanthropist Ann Getty's magnificent collections were auctioned at Christies last month.  It all brought 150 million dollars, which will all be turned over to Getty charitable foundations--  nice!

Would it be fun to stroll through these treasures?   Let's recap a bit.  Have always found the extended family of J. Paul Getty to be interesting, and with much sadness running through it--  many tragedies, betrayals, secret mistresses with claims on inheritances, kidnappings (remember the "ear" incident?), drugs and mental illness...

Ann Getty, California farm girl, married Gordon Getty, son of J. Paul, in the Sixties.  She was shy, loved anthropology, and went on archeological digs, among other things.  Became a passionate collector.  They set up in a lovely pale 'wedding-cake-house' in San Francisco:

IMG_1225.JPG

The front door of their house.  "Veranda" magazine helpfully gives us the name of that creamy paint-- it's "Ivory Polcelain" by Benjamin Moore.

1482440638-getty-home-san-francisco-3.jpg

Her style was unrepentantly baroque, and Old World. 

Never would I want to live this way, but fun to window-gaze on their lives!   Look at that Canaletto painting!   Drool.  Their gilt console here is bristling with simple apothecary jars filled with candy for Christmas guests:

1482443878-getty-home-san-francisco.jpg

Here's a front view of that dreamy painting...

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 6.23.07 PM.png

This is the room, called the Music Parlor, that they would set up their Christmas tree in:

1482444177-getty-home-san-francisco-5.jpg

Speaking of Christmas, here's Ann and two of her four boys readying the table.  One of them died tragically some years ago.   This photo appears to be the late Seventies or early Eighties...

ann-getty-and-sons-1655137095.jpg

Some of her beautiful china collection and Tiffany silver:

1482443608-getty-home-san-francisco-4.jpg

The paintings and all the art are jaw-dropping.

1482444068-getty-home-san-francisco-2.jpg

Clearly she was exuberant with color.  I love doggie portraits.

Parlor-designed-by-Sister-Parish-in-Ann-and-Gordon-Getty_s-San-Francisco-Residence-1.jpg

The online Christie's catalog has everything shown that was sold.  A few goodies:

A Marie Laurencin painting, love.

1fe91d6b24d1fdf2732b6a4183f90f8f--french-artists-art-children.jpg

Interestingly, these colorful antique benches were called "window seats", so they must have originally been made to fit into window recesses:

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 18-38-50 A PAIR OF GEORGE III FUSTIC WINDOW SEATS.png

Curiosities--  a pair of little enamel camels, charming:

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 18-35-42 A PAIR OF CHINESE GILT-METAL AND ENAMEL MODELS OF CAMELS.png

Like most dedicated collectors, she knew the value of pairs.   She said she was wild about Chinese export porcelain.   These famille rose vases are pretty.

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 18-37-14 A LARGE PAIR OF CHINESE EXPORT PORCELAIN FAMILLE ROSE BEAKER VASES.png

They auctioned some of her jewelry pieces too.  While not much of a diamond person, this "tailored" diamond brooch caught my fancy:

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 18-44-02 DIAMOND BROOCH.png

This coral and cultured pearl necklace, so pretty!   And so flattering to any complexion!

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 18-41-58 CORAL AND CULTURED PEARL NECKLACE.png

Something about this ruby bead necklace with ruby and diamond "rosettes" grabbed me too!  Vaguely Art Deco?

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 18-46-06 RUBY AND DIAMOND NECKLACE.png

Anyway, we could go on and on!  Just wanted to give you a taste.  Christie's online has the whole collection to view, if you wish.

Ann Getty also got seriously into interior design--

ann+getty+interiors.jpg

Sadly, she died in 2020 of a heart attack, but leaves a stunning legacy of beauty and philanthropy.

Respected Contributor

Re: THE ANN AND GORDON GETTY AUCTION

Far too opulent for me, but wonderful to take a peek. Amazing  collections and staging, but managing to still have a warm, lived-in, and loved, appeal. Strikingly beautiful. 

Honored Contributor

It all looks so inviting! I could just sit right down and stay a long while and admire all her beautiful things.

It also looks very cozy and comfortable.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Wow, you put your finger on it exactly, @BlueFinch --  you're an incisive observer.

Me too, @on the bay --  I'd like to take coffee, or Christmas glogg or something, in that parlor!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Truly spectacular, elegant, classy, breath taking, superb, magnificent and I could easily live in in that lap of luxury!!!  Everything, decor, furniture, art work exquisite! I would have loved to see everything at the auction, I would have enjoyed that experience.

Esteemed Contributor

Opulence !

Hope that all the proceeds  go to charities where the the operating costs do not deplete  what goes to people in need.

Much of charitable donations  are eaten up by charity  staff saleries  / operating  expenses  and real people in need receive very little .

Respected Contributor

@Oznell Thanks so much for sharing that! Not my taste but gorgeous!  I love looking at online auction sites.  Was browsing Sotheby's last weekend looking at jewelry up for auction previously owned by royal families 

Respected Contributor

I love her dogs in the first picture.    I sure could live in this magnificance.  The house, door and wreaths could easily be my style along with many of the collections and furniture.  I like "things" around me, but just a little less in this home and I could definitely iive with it.  Love most of the furniture and draperies in this home.  I like colors and prints.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   Thanks for posting this look into the Getty's home.  

You know that I love the pups in the first picture, and of course I love the puppy prints on the wall.  

Her dogs must have been well behaved as not to knock over all the items on display.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Esteemed Contributor

Now I don't feel so overloaded with my few "collectibles."

Wow!

A farm girl, huh?  Wow!

You do have some interesting posts, @Oznell ! I think what I like the best from the photos you showed are some of the color schemes. Actually, those mismatched but complimentary wreathes on the door are just so neat!