Honored Contributor

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.31.02 PM.png

By the way, I love the outside of the house too-- the board-and-batten, the loose, unstructured, English-inspired garden, (the bunny, of course), the porch with dark wicker and lanterns flanking the entry.

Michele Howell is another one who has a style, which, while not mine, I find to be well done, and very reflective of her warm personality.  She's a mix of shabby chic, farmhouse, with a little English and French country influences too.

Love the arched door that leads into her pantry.  It was an old found piece, which she brought in and had integrated into the kitchen, complete with antique knob and distressed backplate...  Also like the storage in her island for cookbooks.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 1.37.32 PM.png

She deliberately put in more open storage than I would have, but says she uses the stuff here more than she would, if it were closed off.  She has dreamy collections of ironstone and brown transfer ware here.  Fortunately, she also has closed storage, and glass fronted storage as well.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.39.03 PM.png

Side note, what a cool outfit!  And it coordinates so well with her quiet, mostly neutral house palette!

The soft glow of a lamp on the old wood of her island surface...  Did you spot another bunny?

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.40.15 PM.png

She liked the industrial look of this iron thing-- turns out, it's a wine bottle opener!  And it works.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.39.41 PM.png

Concrete counter tops.  I envy her-- that would be my ideal counter material-- that, or soapstone.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.41.15 PM.png

Off the kitchen, she has a little seating area, and beyond that, you can see the breakfast room, with the wonderful collection of old soup tureens atop a cupboard.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.43.18 PM.png

Her centerpiece is a vintage swan, holding greenery...  the French element sneaked in with the chairs....

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.46.59 PM.png

A few other random little vignettes around her great room area--

Her great-grandfather's trunk is serving as a coffee table--

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.34.21 PM.png

What a beauty and sentimental piece it is!

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.34.45 PM.png

Here, in her main dining area, I love her affinity for "large scale", like this fab basket...

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.31.38 PM.png

This side drop-leaf table holds some of her thrifted finds...

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.36.23 PM.png

....like this topiary fruit ceramic, LOVE.   My thrift stores don't usually have stuff like this!

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.37.00 PM.png

And another of her antique tureens, and a carved candlestick.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.36.03 PM.png

There's a back porch that can be closed off at will, with both seating and dining...

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.46.08 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.48.37 PM.png

And a stunning reclaimed mantel.  She said for spring and summer, since it's now too hot for fires, she's filled it with her stash of terra cotta pots.  Love that, and that is an extremely English notion-- they love their garden pots and scatter them widely....

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 12.47.39 PM.png

But she clearly has fun changing things around out here!

fireplace.jpg

living-area-overhead.jpg

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell Beautiful, love everything which is my style of decorating and decor. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I loved the pictures but none of this appeals to me.  It looks like a gift shop.  It looks too staged, bought-to-go-together, and prone to lots of dusting and cleaning.  

I like more formal looks such as this, but neater, less crowded, and far far less "stuff."  

I do like the tie blouse.  I just bought 2 with short sleeves and 3 sleeveless in crinkle fabric!  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I like most of it tho I wouldn't want to live there. And finally a place that has light fixtures I LIKE! Wow! And no God awful gold framed ugly mirrors! Kudos to her.  Love the use of greenery.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure the house reflects her tastes and style and  I'm sure she loves living there. Some of the pieces such as the high chair and trunk are probably of special significance. I love when people live their best lives not trying to emulate or copy others. She did a great job!

Respected Contributor

I like the outside better than the inside. The interior strikes me as being cluttered with all the nick nacks and open shelving.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN ,  I reacted very similarly.  In the video, she had such obvious joy, a real passion for creating the environment that suits her best, and one where she could easily host and invite others to partake.   A very sweet woman with enthusiasm for meaningful curating and collecting, within her instinctive style.

Esteemed Contributor

The exterior is pretty.  The interior doesn't work for me....too neutral and too much "stuff".  I also think the terra cotta pots in the fireplace is really stretching any type of "creativity" in home design and decorating.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I like it, especially the touches of greenery. I would add a bit more color to some of the rooms and remove some clutter. 

Honored Contributor

I love this beautiful home. The exterior space is my favorite but the interior is just as special.

I would have to remove most of the ceramic pieces etc that are on display.

here is just too much of it for my taste.

I would do that and be very happy with everything else!