Honored Contributor

Re: Super strong detergent/fabric softener/dryer sheets...HELP!!!

It must be Downey.  I can smell that stuff a mile away, and it's awful. 

I do think laundry products are much stronger in scent than they used to be.  I start buying all unscented laundry soap and dryer sheets. 

The only exception is chamomile dryer sheets I get from Grove.  I use them on sheets and towels.  It's very mild and soothing. 

Honored Contributor

When my next door neighbor is doing laundry it stinks. You can smell it when you walk out to the back yard. Their yard always stinks because it's always covered in dog poo.

I use Nellie's laundry detergent so doubt my neighbors smell anything. I don't use fabric softener or fabric sheets. If I need one of those I will make my own. I pour vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser when I use it.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you....................there is a laundry detergent (and not i have smelled the same scent in other products)

smell that truly irritates me and it actually makes me feel

nauceous.............my daugher brought came over one day and her clothes smelled similar....i asked what detergent it was but she answered that she wasn't sure because she buys what is on sale but she THOUGHT it might be TIDE.

I buy Arm & Hammer Unscented Free...........so i am not

sure about it being TIDE but  someone else mentioned that to me a while back also.............BUT yes...i have smelled it in other products.........even kitchen garbage bags!!

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam there are times when neighbors are doing are doing laundry and I have to close my windows.  The smell is so strong you can actually taste it and it gives me a headache.

I can't imagine why people want to smell like that all day long.

I only use unscented detergent, don't use dryer sheets at all and don't use fabric softener.

Honored Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

I agree with you....................there is a laundry detergent (and not i have smelled the same scent in other products)

smell that truly irritates me and it actually makes me feel

nauceous.............my daugher brought came over one day and her clothes smelled similar....i asked what detergent it was but she answered that she wasn't sure because she buys what is on sale but she THOUGHT it might be TIDE.

I buy Arm & Hammer Unscented Free...........so i am not

sure about it being TIDE but  someone else mentioned that to me a while back also.............BUT yes...i have smelled it in other products.........even kitchen garbage bags!!

Then that's either Gain or Febreze. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@SahmIam there are times when neighbors are doing are doing laundry and I have to close my windows.  The smell is so strong you can actually taste it and it gives me a headache.

I can't imagine why people want to smell like that all day long.

I only use unscented detergent, don't use dryer sheets at all and don't use fabric softener.

@CelticCrafter 

I'm with you!  👍

Respected Contributor

I think it's the Bounce sheets that I use.  I actually love the scent and have noticed it on people at the gym.  I noticed that the smell gets a little stronger when you use a sheet with only a small load, but mine are usually larger.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 ...On occasion when my neighbor is doing laundry I can 'smell' either the laundry detergent or fabric softener.

Honored Contributor

I do not like fabric softer ,dryer sheets at all ,been years since i used them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam - I absolutely detest the overly scented dryer sheets that are so prevalent in the market right now; I have the same issue you're describing where it is very obvious to me when my neighbors are doing their laundry because of the strong fake floral or perfume aromas invading the air—and that is despite the fact that I often keep all my windows closed due to a severe grass allergy. From what I've learned, the worst offenders in my area are Gain Island Fresh and Gain Lavender, Snuggle Exhilarations (all of the varieties are extremely perfumy), and most of the Downy Infusions sheets. These products are designed to be intensely fragranced and to linger on fabrics, so they unfortunately also linger in the neighborhood.