Honored Contributor

Re: Super strong detergent/fabric softener/dryer sheets...HELP!!!

I would think the smell is coming from the dryer vent as the clothes that have been rinsed in the new fabric softener beads are being dried.

I buy those beads, pour them into small containers, and hide throughout the house for scenting purposes.   I’ve never used them in the laundry.   

Trusted Contributor

I love the smell of laundry products. There, I said it. But lately I've been trying to use less so it doesn't offend anyone. I use the downy scent beads and they are very strong.

Honored Contributor

I use All Free & Clear liquid laundry detergent.  I haven't used a scented detergent in many years.  I don't like the smell at all.  I have never noticed the smell in my neighborhood or walking down the street though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I could smell my Persil laudry detergent in my clothes and bedding all day long.  I love the scent of Persil.  They also have an extra potent variety which I have tried and liked well enough.  Maybe it is Persil, which I hear is making gains on Tide as America's favorite.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam  What I can't believe is that you can smell this driving around.  OMG!  That must be disgusting.  I use the Tide that costs less in a yellow bottle.  Sounds like you need to buy the unscented version of any detergent.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I can't imagine how those who use these heavily scented detergents can stand smelling it on their clothes all day😳

My DIL decided to buy those crystals -- my granddaughter was complaining of headaches and feeling sick and lightheaded.  I asked her why?  She said my clothes smell like perfume.

My son told my DIL to stop using it.  DIL said "why? It can't be harmful it's just perfume".  He rewashed all the sheets, blankets, clothes and the smell is still there...needless to say, he wasn't happy as he has sensitivity to all scents.

I have no idea why she decided to use this as they always used All Free & Clear!

No perfumed detergents, soaps, air fresheners (plug ins), candles etc. as I'm extremely sensitive to all of them and never use them in my home.  

Tide, Gain, Febreeze, Snuggle & Downy are bad enough but those crystals are the worst.  They out to be taken off the market IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

I had been using fabric softener liquids and dryer sheets for many years.Then I read an article that it's not necessary - and my washer/dryer repairman (came out to adjust something else) told me to NEVER use these products as they clog up the washer/dryer. I just use lilquid detergent (1 teaspoon for a full load) - and I pour a little vinegar in the washer.I never had staticy clothes when I stopped using these products.

Honored Contributor

I grew up with a Downy mom. Our whole house and our clothing smelled like it, and it was just natural and comforting. It was one of the smells of 'home'. 

Fast forward and for years now, I have not been able to tolerate scents that linger on my body or my clothing for any length of time. I own no perfumes, only use unscented lotions, use very little laundry detergent and even though I use softener in each load of wash, only a teaspoon full, diluted so you don't smell it. 

I wonder if you @SahmIam  are just like me, overly sensitive to scents. My mom often gets into my car and I have to roll the windows down, as she has layered her Philosophy products. She uses three dryer sheets per load, and her clothing reeks (to me) and her towels are so slick they don't dry anything.I've tried to talk her into toning it down but she isn't going to change.

I too get in line at places and smell people's laundry supplies. I know they are clean, and they smell clean, but it is so overwhelming and off putting to me. The smell of a laundromat used to be pleasing to me, but not anymore. The few times a year I find myself in one, I get a headache if too many other people are in there and lots of product being used. 

I don't know if the products are getting stronger or I'm getting more sensitive, but I don't like it! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio and others:

I know that having asthma IS a contributing factor to smelling things that many don't; we are called the "canary in the mine" because if it's bothering our respiratory system to the point there is a reaction, then you know it's affecting everyone else but they don't KNOW it...yet.

Over the past few days I've mentioned this strong scent to others (one being a good friend in my neighborhood) and she notices the smell every day she walks. It's so strong that she can tell you what section of a cul-de-sac is doing their laundry. Some are on Monday at 2; some are on Tuesday at 4; the bulk are on Saturday morning (which is why she doesn't walk then because the smell is too much for her). My neighbor does it all weekend so I keep the windows closed the entire time. Her dryer vents out right by our kitchen so it's really strong.

Someone else mentioned to me that the reason he thinks that these scents are so much stronger is to cover up the stink of our WATER. Depending on where you live, your water may smell good but where we are, it stinks...badly. I have filters on the shower heads and use a filter system for our drinking water but let me tell you, when I open the dishwasher, WOW, it smells. When we don't have a filter on the shower heads, WOW, it smells. When you run  a bath or the WASHER (now it makes sense), it stinks. Yes, everything is clean, yes I've spoken to a plumber and yes, I've spoken to others in my community: it's our water and that's how it smells. So, I'm thinking that this stronger detergent/dryer sheets is to cover up the stinky smell of the WATER that so many of us have. I wish I knew someone who worked in the Research and Development division of these products and see why they make them this way.

Thoughts?

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I grew up with a Downy mom. Our whole house and our clothing smelled like it, and it was just natural and comforting. It was one of the smells of 'home'. 

Fast forward and for years now, I have not been able to tolerate scents that linger on my body or my clothing for any length of time. I own no perfumes, only use unscented lotions, use very little laundry detergent and even though I use softener in each load of wash, only a teaspoon full, diluted so you don't smell it. 

I wonder if you @SahmIam  are just like me, overly sensitive to scents. My mom often gets into my car and I have to roll the windows down, as she has layered her Philosophy products. She uses three dryer sheets per load, and her clothing reeks (to me) and her towels are so slick they don't dry anything.I've tried to talk her into toning it down but she isn't going to change.

I too get in line at places and smell people's laundry supplies. I know they are clean, and they smell clean, but it is so overwhelming and off putting to me. The smell of a laundromat used to be pleasing to me, but not anymore. The few times a year I find myself in one, I get a headache if too many other people are in there and lots of product being used. 

I don't know if the products are getting stronger or I'm getting more sensitive, but I don't like it! LOL

Imagine all the toxins in these smelly products that people breathe.