Honored Contributor

Re: Super strong detergent/fabric softener/dryer sheets...HELP!!!

@SahmIam 

I absolutely hate the smell of Gain. I can’t imagine what this new stronger scent would be like! When I first saw that commercial I thought - No way! My asthma acts up just walking through aisles that sell the regular stuff. I only use laundry products that are free from dyes & perfumes. 

Frequent Contributor

Used to work for a company that made those dryer sheets. Really bad for your dryer as the sheet is just a thin piece of paper coated with perfumes and wax, that releases once you put it in the heat of the dryer. Have a brother in law that fixes appliances and he says that it will kill your dryer to keep coating with the wax. And I think most of the smells that people are smelling is from Gain. Had a neighbor that used that and you could smell whenever she was doing her laundry, Fortunately, she has since moved.

Respected Contributor

I have no idea which product that smell might be. There are so many now!  I live in an apartment complex and I've not noticed it where I am. I occasionally smell laundry, but it's usually the original Downey scent.

Scented detergents and fabric softeners make me itch and give me a rash, so I only use unscented things, but I do wish I could cuddle up in some Downey April Fresh.

I remember when I used to prepare the preschool classroom I worked in for nap time. Every Monday, kids would bring freshly laundered sleeping bags to class for the week.  I remember one boy's mom used Downey and how good it smelled every time I unpacked his bag for nap time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam I think @loriqvc nailed it.  It is probably one of the two Gain scents she mentioned.  You can confirm when next you are in the detergent aisle in the supermarket.

The dollar stores carry some inexpensive liquid detergent off brand that has a very flowery/perfumey smell too.  I think it is called Xtra and comes in a purple or periwinkle blue container.

I never use fabric softener or sheets and I use unscented liquid detergents.  I buy the all free clear brand usually.

Honored Contributor

Good to know it's not just me, lol.

This isn't flowery or powdery. This is sickly sweet, like candy. Like sweetarts. I mean SICKLY sweet. I grew up with basic Tide and I remember a thread on this forum discussing when they changed the scent; I miss the old Tide smell. But it was clean not sweet.

The next time I see my neighbor, I'm going to ask her. Considering the laundry aisle in stores stink SO BAD because of all the scents, I avoid it like the plague.

Valued Contributor

I detest these strong smelling laundry products.  Not only do they trigger headaches and migraines for me, the chemicals they put all over the clothes and into our homes aren't good for us to breathe or be in contact with.  I don't understand the obsession with needing everything to be scented including the air in our homes and sofas/soft surfaces--especially at the expense of our health.

Trusted Contributor

While I have never noticed the smell of laundry while taking a walk I can appreciate your dislike of the sweet smells. Yuck!!!

In all things I hate the flowery smells and most fragrances of detergents don't sound remotely like something I want to use. 

Honored Contributor

I use Nellies washing soda---works well for me and no scent--use woolie dryer balls and no fabric softener--works great for me. The only thing I use is bleach for my white things---no scent there either.

Honored Contributor

Ugh!!!!   Some of these laundry fragrances remind me of public bathroom *air fresheners*.  

And I've hated Febreeze from day one.

Febreeze is *in* all kinds of products now.

Before it was just a spray to mask nasty odors and only made nasty odors nastier.  Bleck.

I use either 7th Generation or Nature's Promise liquid detergents and softeners (sometimes).

I can smell laundry fragrances from other's people's homes.  Definitely.

Respected Contributor

it sounds like gain. i used the fabric sofener and dryer sheets but i got tired of the sent. and the gain cystals are strong.