Honored Contributor

Super strong detergent/fabric softener/dryer sheets...HELP!!!

I understand that super duper strong scented detergent (Gain commercial for example) is the NEW thing and fabric softener/dryer sheets have followed suit. Personally, I hate it. It hurts my chest, my eyes and gives me a headache so I use no dryer sheets (unscented wool balls) and the lightest scented detergent I can find. 

My question or help that I need is this:

There is some brand/scent that appears to be REALLY popular right now. I'm in house, windows open and I can smell it. My neighbor uses it (not home right now) so it's someone/s else. It's strong and sickly sweet. When driving through a community yesterday (slowly), you could smell it. When passing by the laundromat, it was SUPER strong. Going for a walk, you can smell it. It's all over the place. Some people smell strongly of it when you're behind them in line. The thing is, it's the SAME SCENT. Is it something by Downey? Gain sheets? What IS this stuff?! It's obviously popular.

And yes, I close all my windows or move inside, it bothers me that much. Stinks now that the weather is so nice. Any clue as to what product this is? Is anyone else bothered by the heavy scented laundry products? I can't imagine a baby having to sleep in clothing or on sheets that smell this strong!

Honored Contributor

Re: Super strong detergent/fabric softener/dryer sheets...HELP!!!

@SahmIam   I am not a fan of having my clothing smelling like a daisy, but My DIL is.  When my grands come to visit, or we have them for a week or two, the smell is very irritating.

She adds those Gains Clothes scents that are popular.  That's probably what you smell. They are pretty potent smelling.

Super Contributor

I wonder if it is those scented crystals that goes into the wash. I used them one time and even though I followed the directions I thought the scent was too intense, no matter how little I used.

Nothing beats the smell of sun and fresh air on sheets that have dried on the line.

Honored Contributor

I must admit, I never walk down the street and smell laundry products.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   How lucky you  are!!!

Honored Contributor

What amazes me is that it's the SAME scent. Unless they all smell similiar.... just very sickly sweet. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I must admit, I never walk down the street and smell laundry products.

@Kachina624  It sounds odd....but I have a similar experience.  I live in an apartment....washer and dryer are in each section's basement.  When I go outside to the trash dumpster or the carport I can often smell extremely strong "perfumey " laundry smells outside the building!  I've also smelled that odor when walking down the sidewalk in my neighborhood.  

Honored Contributor

Smiley Sad hate it is very annoying. everyone at the town pool seems to use the to dry their towels

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Wow, really??  Can't say that I have noticed that.  I just use the same old Tide and Downy that I've used since time immemorial; have noticed lots of scented things at the store when shopping, but I'm always in a hurry and never stopped to look.

Valued Contributor

I don’t like scented laundry products. I’ve been using white, pure wool dryer balls for a few months now. They work much better than fabric softener liquids or sheets.