Honored Contributor

Re: Summer canning has begun!

I love, love , love that Smuckers store. Each year we take a trip to Ohio to shop in Charm, Go to Lehman's hardware and Smuckers, and get our knives sharpened at the knife store in Dover. We take a picnic lunch with us and eat at Deis Hill Park in Dover, just love it there. I buy a lot of my Christmas gifts on that trip every year as I find unique things in the little shops. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I love, love , love that Smuckers store. Each year we take a trip to Ohio to shop in Charm, Go to Lehman's hardware and Smuckers, and get our knives sharpened at the knife store in Dover. We take a picnic lunch with us and eat at Deis Hill Park in Dover, just love it there. I buy a lot of my Christmas gifts on that trip every year as I find unique things in the little shops. 

@151949

I haven't heard you say you were back in PA yet this year. I knew you had some delay for a procedure with your husband, but was wondering if you are going to make it back north this summer?

I haven't been to Dover for quite some time either. 

If you are looking for a good Amish buffet (and regular menu) when you are in Kidron sometime, not too far down the road in Wilmont Ohio is the Amish Door Restaurant and Bakery. Their baked goods are great, and we like their food better than any other Amish style restaurant in that entire area. There is an inn there as well, and while I've never stayed there, I have been inside and it is nice. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks - we have been to the Amish Door. However, since we found Deis Hill Park we have been taking our picnic lunch and enjoying eating there.It is just beautiful. Then we have a favorite place we like to eat dinner in Pa. on the way home.

No we aren't up at camp yet. Leaving soon but stopping to visit friends in Hilton Head on the way north. We are planning to sell our camper this summer and stay in Florida full time after this year. My DH will be 73 this summer , has not been completely well, and he said it is just getting too difficult. I always felt this was his decision to make as he really has to do the brunt of the workload. We plan to probably sell our villa and build a new single family house here in our little town when we get back.

Honored Contributor

When I was a young girl and first made jelly and jam, I would seal the jars with paraffin wax.  We didn't use sealing lids back then for jellies and jams.  You just melted the wax and poured it on top of the jelly.  When it hardened, it sealed the contents.

You just had to be careful not to let the wax get too hot while you were melting it, or it would flame and catch on fire

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

When I was a young girl and first made jelly and jam, I would seal the jars with paraffin wax.  We didn't use sealing lids back then for jellies and jams.  You just melted the wax and poured it on top of the jelly.  When it hardened, it sealed the contents.

You just had to be careful not to let the wax get too hot while you were melting it, or it would flame and catch on fire

My mom did virtually no canning, but I do remember when I was little, having jelly and jam in the house with the paraffin on it! Hadn't thought of that in a long time @Carmie! Thanks for that memory!

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Thanks - we have been to the Amish Door. However, since we found Deis Hill Park we have been taking our picnic lunch and enjoying eating there.It is just beautiful. Then we have a favorite place we like to eat dinner in Pa. on the way home.

No we aren't up at camp yet. Leaving soon but stopping to visit friends in Hilton Head on the way north. We are planning to sell our camper this summer and stay in Florida full time after this year. My DH will be 73 this summer , has not been completely well, and he said it is just getting too difficult. I always felt this was his decision to make as he really has to do the brunt of the workload. We plan to probably sell our villa and build a new single family house here in our little town when we get back.

@151949 wrote:

@151949

Sorry that you might not be able to keep traveling back home during the summers anymore. I know from the experience with my grandparents and great aunts and uncles, the time comes when many have to pick just one place. It does get to be too much work/expense/travel. And counting on someone to keep an eye on the 'other' place when you aren't there.

My grandparents simply stayed in Florida, but my great aunts and uncles all chose to stay in Ohio after turing about 80. No wrong answer, just what works for each couple. My grandparents didn't care to be here after my dad died, but all the others had kids, grandkids and great grandkids here, and wanted to finish out their lives with those people close. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio

I had to go back several pages to find this thread but I wanted to let you know that I did my first summer canning this morning. My MIL helped me make bread and butter pickles.  I have been making zucchini bread and soup and putting those in the freezer but today we canned.  We made 10 quarts.  It reminded me of canning with my mother and grandmother (both gone now) and brought back sweet memories.  I will have to start showing my granddaughter how to do these things.

Honored Contributor

@Tennesseegal wrote:

@Mominohio

I had to go back several pages to find this thread but I wanted to let you know that I did my first summer canning this morning. My MIL helped me make bread and butter pickles.  I have been making zucchini bread and soup and putting those in the freezer but today we canned.  We made 10 quarts.  It reminded me of canning with my mother and grandmother (both gone now) and brought back sweet memories.  I will have to start showing my granddaughter how to do these things.

@Tennesseegal

I love bread and butter pickles!!!

I've only made pickles one time, and they were yucky! I had a great aunt that was the best pumpkin pie baker ever, and made a pretty mean bread and butter pickle. I never asked her to show me her secrets, and I am sorry now that she is gone. 

So definitely pass your skill to the next generations! Even if they seem uninterested, or don't practice it while you are alive, they might just, later in life, be so grateful and thankful (and treasure the memories you make doing it!).

I like to make breads and soups and freeze them too. It is so easy, and satisfying, to thaw those things out in the frigid winter, and have a quick and delicious meal. 

Our garden is a bit behind, but coming on strong. I have a few weeks before there will be much to put up.

I do need to go do the first picking of our blueberries, they are just starting to come on. We put netting over them this year, as I was tired of sharing them with the birds! 

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio

As a child and a teenager, I hated having to help with the garden and canning.  It wasn't until I was older that I realized that I had actually been learning how to do something.  So many people {my age-I am 52 and younger) have no idea how to can and I am so grateful for this skill.  I am going to make squash relish one day this week.  I also make a frozen cucumber salad that is very good for those cucumbers that get a little too big to can.  It gives me a sense of accomplishment when I put things in the freezer or cans. 

Honored Contributor

@Tennesseegal wrote:

@Mominohio

As a child and a teenager, I hated having to help with the garden and canning.  It wasn't until I was older that I realized that I had actually been learning how to do something.  So many people {my age-I am 52 and younger) have no idea how to can and I am so grateful for this skill.  I am going to make squash relish one day this week.  I also make a frozen cucumber salad that is very good for those cucumbers that get a little too big to can.  It gives me a sense of accomplishment when I put things in the freezer or cans. 

@Tennesseegal

It's so funny how many people are into sustainable and local living, or knowing their food sources and ingredients, but have never grown or preserved even the smallest amount of their own food. 

It is something that can be done in even the smallest spaces, is fun and amazing, not to mention gratifying! Even putting up fresh food from the farmer's market really has a sense of satisfaction to it!

I love going to the basement, and seeing all those Mason jars lined up with homegrown green beans, carrots, beets, applesauce, salsa etc. We by no means, can supply all our needs, but it certainly contributes to our food supply for the year.