Honored Contributor

Suggestions please ... sachet smell in cabinet

I purchased a beautiful buffet server but wow she must have had those scented sachets stored in it...yuck🤮🤮

I am very allergic to strong scents & of course, did not notice prior to buying.  I'm seeking suggestions (I've had doors open) prior to putting anything in it ...it's like a rose petal scent.

Thank you🙂🙂

Homedecor1

Respected Contributor

Re: Suggestions please ... sachet smell in cabinet

Can you sit it outside in the sunshine for a day?

Sprinkle unscented cat litter in it & let it set for a couple of days. Or activated charcoal. Either one can absorb the oders.

Honored Contributor

I would hate that too cause they often have that sickly sweet scent.

Anyway, charcoal does work well and also good for keeping moisture away. I used to buy them at Walmart.

They absorb odors and are non toxic. I used to get them in the isle with laundry bags ironing boards, lint rollers etc.

This was similar to the one I got-it's clear so when the charcoal dissipates and dries up after 3 months or so, you replace.

It's about $11-Walmart.

There are many other kinds as well.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

A while ago I heard of 'charcoal odor absorbers'. I think they also make bamboo ones. Not sure if this is the same thing but this item at Lowes is cheap and gets good reviews:

qfrm - odr.jpg

Honored Contributor

Spray or wipe with diluted white vinegar.

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 

goodness no it took 3 men to carry it so it's gotta stay put😉

I'm going to get the charcoal packets as suggested by @ThinkingOutLoud & @on the bay 

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed it works🙂🙂

thank you all for the suggestions -- I'll keep you posted with the results🤞🏻🤞🏻

Super Contributor

After years and a couple hundred $ of trying everything in my shore house, which is shut up a few months some years, resulting in musty odors, I have found cups of vinegar worked the best for me!  I leave my cabinet and furniture drawers and doors open and place several coffee cups/mugs in each room or in furniture.  When I return take the ones away that interfere with drawer usage but leave some hidden.  Several people have asked how come the house doesn't smell musty.  

Honored Contributor

It never hurts also @homedecor1,

to put a box of baking soda in there-maybe that and the charcoal-a double whammy! They both absorb odors and moistureSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I would try placing apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar in a bowl and leaving it inside the cabinet for a few days. If you are worried about it spilling when opening the cabinet, don't fill up to the top, or use a plastic top and poke holes in the top or cover in saran wrap and poke holes. This method worked for me when my dog was sprayed by a skunk and ran in the house, so hopefully would take care of the smell in the cabinet.

Another idea is a bowl of coffee beans inside the cabinet, if they spill no damage done to the cabinet. Good Luck!

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

@Neetgal2 

Its not "musty" but floral scented like cheap bottle of perfume 

I'm going to put baking soda in cups tonight to try to get jump start..

@RedTop 

Will the vinegar odor linger?  I will try it tonight with the baking soda..I've wiped it and cleaned thoroughly with Murphy's oil soap but wow when you open doors...the scent gags me🤦🏼‍♀️

(spouse thinks I'm crazy because smells nice to him)

Thank you!!