Respected Contributor

Re: Stuck in a rut, or constantly moving?

I am stuck in a rut. I would like to move furniture around but with our open floor plan it is practically impossible. And I don't really have many places to set things so everything basically stays the same.  I might temporarily change a couple decorative pieces for a holiday but that's it. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would prefer to leave decorative things as they are, but I am never satisfied for very long, so I always end up moving things around.   It's rare that I move furniture, though, just tabletop items.

Honored Contributor

Well, I've been both but lately, I've had too much 'stuff'  displayed.  It sure makes cleaning a real chore since there's too many items to have to move to dust tables, shelves, etc.  So, I'm going through the decor for the third time this year  and putting more into the donation boxes.  I'm tired of spending so much time with the dusting.  So, I will move the decor around in different areas of the house but have less to move.  I don't move the furniture around  because there aren't many options in my house for furniture placement.  I really don't tire of that because it is a functional placement.

Honored Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

One of the problems I have is that I want to make changes sometimes but I have pieces I've received as gifts and feel that I can't get rid of them even though I am sick of looking at them.  

@Kardi  I don't think anyone expects you to keep a gift forever, I know  I don't.  If you're tired of it let it go. Some things family members have given me I packed up and haven't seen in a long time but they haven't made a remark so it's off to the mission now.  Once I give a gift it's theirs to do with as they please. That's just me, maybe others have different thoughts.

Honored Contributor

One thing I have tried to do to keep my various home decor accessible and moving in and out of displays, is to have some shelving, and all like things put on that shelving, where I can see all of what I have.

For instance, I have one for flameless candles (one for regular candles too) and all my various candle holders and pedestals. I can see everyone I have in one place, so when I want a particular color, size or grouping of candles, I can easily access them, put the ones I'm taking out of the rotation back on the shelf and move on quickly. No digging through boxes or tubs. Being able to see them, and easily accessible allows me to use what I have more often. 

I try to do that with my various seasonal dishes, and some other home decor items as well. I could use several more sturdy shelving units in the basement to carry this into other things I have, and hope to accomplish that some day.

Honored Contributor

I decorarte for specific holidays...I have a tub stored with the decor in my garage, one or two for each holiday...not counting Christmas

I also like to move around my home decor from room to room to make things look fresh between holidays.  My family room is an odd shape so I cannot rearrange the furniture so I use my accessories to make the room look different.

I have a large field stone fireplace with a mantle that is a lot of fun to decorate.  I don't like having to much stuff so I am very careful about buying home decor items.

Trusted Contributor

My ex was full of energy all the time.  Every once in a while I would wake up and find he had spent the night moving all the furniture in the living room or some other room around.  The first time it was quite a shock.  And, yes, I slept through it.  He could be very quiet even when moving a couch! 

Honored Contributor

For me it's constantly moving.   Just last week I moved half the living room furniture.  I have everything on padded sliders, so I can flip that big couch wherever I want all by myself.  Now that my husband depends on nebulizer treatments 4x a day, there are only 2 good spots in the room near outlets, for his table and recliner.   I would love to rearrange our bedroom furniture, but the way it is now is the most convenient access for him, with the best place for his c-pap equipment.   

I change out the drapes in the living room, bedroom, and kitchen 3x a year.   Most of my home decor is photos of our family.   I like my walls and surfaces bare; not into doodads sitting, or hanging, collecting dust.  You will never find anything but the family bible and flameless candles on our coffee table.  I have no live plants, and cannot tolerate silk arrangements or wreaths.   I only have 2 rugs near my front door; got rid of the large area rug in my living room, and the hall runner.   

I prefer a bare look on the dining room table, but that is everyone's favorite drop zone.   

Honored Contributor

I am always changing accessories but not moving furniture around.  I do move accessories from room to room also plants.  I always have a fresh flower arrangement in my living room except for December when the decorations are out. 

Honored Contributor

We recently moved from a home that we lived in for the past 19 years. We rebuilt our cottage on a lake in upper MI and have retired there since last June. When we sold our house I got rid of absolutely everything! The decor there wasn't anything I was going to use here. I'm in a bit of a smaller place now and have decorated in a purely cottage look. We had a ball shopping! I'm not much of being stuck in a rut. I'm always looking for new and improved ways to decorate my home. Its fun!

"Pure Michigan"